chapter three

Chapter Three: Mutual Unwillingness

"Do you need anything?" Snape asked as Lucius laid Draco on the green and silver bedspread.

"A bottle of Port would be nice," Lucius commented.

Snape rolled his eyes. "I meant for Draco, not for you."

"Then nothing. He'll be up and about soon enough. He's not hurt after all, just adjusting."

Snape nodded. "Fine then." And the Potions Master left the two Malfoys alone.

Lucius looked around the room. It was just a duplicate of the Slytherin dormitory really, except that there was one bed instead of a few, all draped in the classic Slytherin green and silver, with a fireplace to warm the room (for it was in the dungeon), and a small desk for Draco to write on. Draco's trunk was sitting, open, at the foot of his bed and Lucius could see a stack of parchment inside it.

After a few minutes of thought, Lucius transfigured one of the sheets into a bottle of Port and another into a wine glass such as the ones he drank from in the Manor. Lucius stared into the flames of the fire, which were also green and silver, as he sipped the wine. The room was very quiet, save the crackling of the fire, and Lucius's mind easily slipped back to when he had gone through his first Aspectus.

He remembered that day. He had been in a really bad mood because there had been a gnawing headache at the back of his skull all day, and he had skipped dinner for the silence of his own room. His Aspectus hadn't hit until after he had fallen asleep and he remembered vividly waking to see the entire room glowing different shades of green at the darkest hour of the night. It had left shortly after, so he hadn't actually seen the matching aura of his life mate until a few months had gone by. But he had to wonder if Draco chanced to see an aura that matched his own. It was probable, however highly unlikely.

He was shaken from his reverie by an ecstatic, "Father!" and he turned to see Draco sitting up excitedly.

"How are you feeling?" Lucius asked, crossing to the bedside.

"Fine. The glowing stopped."

"Yes, I imagine it would. It will come back in a few days, each time for a longer amount of time."

Draco looked skeptical. "Is the headache going to come back too?"

"No."

"Oh. That's okay then."

Lucius paused for a moment, looking at his son. "Draco, did you see anyone with an aura matching your own?"

"I didn't have time to look at myself." Draco pointed out blankly.

"What color was it when you lost consciousness?"

"Black."

"Just black?"

Draco thought. "Yes. Black, like ebony almost."

"Then that's your aura."

Draco thought again. He remembered seeing someone with a black aura... but no details came to mind. "I can't remember anyone with my aura."

"Pity."

Harry denied the offered lemon drop as he sat down in a plush chair in front of Dumbledore's desk. Dumbledore was quiet for a moment, as if carefully choosing the correct words to begin.

"There are many things we need to discuss, Harry."

"Why is Mr. Malfoy here?"

"Not for the reason you are assuming, Harry, I'm sure. He is here purely for family reasons."