chapter forty-two

Epilogue: Happily Every After

Two years later:

Blaise looked up as the other man slid into his seat across the table from him. "Long time no see, Draco."

Draco shot him a smirk as he ran his hand through long platinum strands, even longer than his father had worn his hair, Blaise noted. "Becoming a Master in potion making isn't as easy as I make it sound in my letters."

Blaise laughed, thinking of how Draco ranted in his letters about the demands of the Masters he was working with. "Have they stopped bringing up the fact that you don't sleep on campus?"

"No. They keep telling me that I should be around at all times." The Veriae shrugged. "I've gotten used to ignoring them. Their glares have nothing on my godfather's."

"Draco, I don't think anyone can glare like your godfather. Although," Blaise's eyes laughed merrily as he spoke, "If I remember correctly, you could come close."

"I find myself improving. They're going to start having me lecture next semester in Durmstrang."

"Not Hogwarts?"

"No. Believe me, I tried. I think they don't want my godfather to grade me. They think he'd favor me or something like that."

Blaise snorted into his wine at the thought of Snape favoring anyone enough to up their grade. Nope, it wasn't compatible with the reality.

"So how's your better half?" Blaise asked.

"Well right now we're arguing-"

"You don't say." Blaise's tone was dry and sarcastic.

"-about children."

Blaise choked on the wine he was drinking and decided that, even though it was really good wine, he should not drink it during this conversation.

"I can honestly say that is the last thing I thought you were going to say."

Draco smirked. "I enjoy surprising you."

"So what exactly are you arguing about?"

"How they will come into existence."

"Oh, you mean whether you're going to use a potion or a spell?"

"Yes."

"Let me guess, you want the potion, he wants the spell?"

"Exactly."

Blaise grinned lopsidedly at him. "Well, I think whoever has to carry the baby should decide."

"Blaise, that is disgusting."

Blaise couldn't help but laugh at the look on his friend's face. "Sorry, I couldn't resist. Well, if memory serves me correctly, the Hereditary Potion and Spell are both administered at the same time of birth, right?"

"Correct. As long as the baby hasn't gone through a naming ceremony, either one can be used to change his or her heritage to another family's."

"Well, why don't you just adopt twins and use both?"

Draco shrugged off his outer cloak and dropped it into the House Elf's waiting hands as he entered the Manor. The Masters had kept him late again. He sighed. Harry didn't like it when he wasn't there to help tuck the children in. He would have to apologize for the ill-manners of his teachers, yet again.

"Master Draco, Master Harry and the little Master and Mistress are waiting for you in the little Mistress's room. They is having Master Harry tell them stories while they wait for you."