Chapter 3 (Google POV)

I shouldn't have left to help Jaqueline. Everything was fine until I got the text from Melissa, my sister, who is the second-to-youngest in my family. My brother, Jordan, is the youngest.

Google, we need help. Come when it's convenient for you. They decided to attack us. I'm hiding in our panic room, guarding Jordan.

See, the people in my family are rare. We are like only five percent of the world's population. Like people you would find in a fantasy. We have wings. And enhanced abilities. The real root of my birth intelligence. There are people who feel this is unfair and have set out to attack people like us. Their main goal is to get our wings.

Anyway, I figured I would help, then leave to help my family, then I got another text.

Hurry, things are getting difficult. We need you.

This is when I started to panic, rushing the job a little more. Then I got another text.

Please hurry. I think they'll find us in here.

I hurried the job and then waited outside the car, knowing Jaqueline would want Sara to ride with me. Just as I pulled out of the parking lot, I got the final text.

They found Jordan. I tried to protect him, really, but they got his wings.

Now I'm driving as fast as the speed limit will allow. I want to fly to them. I almost did, but Sara and Jaqueline were there. Jaqueline left before us, and I almost told Sara, but I didn't know if she would be the kind of person to tell others.

"What's wrong?"

She asks way too many questions. I almost confide in her in order to get her to stop asking.

"Oh, it's nothing, really. Not that important."

"It seems pretty important to you."

"Please just stop asking questions. The answers are too complicated."

They took Jordan's wings. I'm processing this. He has no wings now. He will survive, even though losing wings is a painful process, the wounds heal quickly. But living without them after having them your whole life is hard. Never flying again.

I was attacked. I lost part of my wings, but my older sister Valerie defended me before they got all of them. Flying is a struggle now, though I have gotten used to flying with my injury.

Jordan doesn't get to fly at all. Not anymore.