Chapter 1: 10th Grade

Sapphire woke up and treated the day as if it were, well, any other day. School didn't phase her as it did most, and she took this as a new experience. Sure, she was shy and didn't particularly like talking to most people, but this was an experience and she was going to take it.

She woke up and changed out of her pajamas and put on a white tank-top with blue flowers on it, a pair of faded blue jeans, and white ankle Converse. She put a bagel in the toaster proceeded get ready as the bagel cooked. By the time it was done, the bagel had popped up from the toaster and she put cream cheese on it, grabbed her bag, and walked out the door.

Sapphire was still adjusting to the fact that shed be living alone because her parents got her, her own apartment because they were always off on business. The apartment was still really bland and tired but she still some unpacking to do. Also she needed to get a job soon to pay for the things her parents couldn't like: food, clothes, cleaning supplies, etc.

Sapphire's thoughts were interrupted by her phone vibrating with a text message. She bit into the bagel and searched through her bag for cell phone. She unlocked it and read a text from her mom.

"Have a great first day! Make some friends! Dad and I love you" Sapphire read with a small smile. She typed back a quick response.

"Thanks, I'll try. Love you guys too." She left the messages and went to her music. She reached back into her bag pulled out earbuds and plugged them into her phone.

Sapphire preferred to listen to female indie artists or strong female singers in general like Lana Del Ray, Marina and The Diamonds, and Melanie Martinez. The first song she stumbled upon was "Lies" by Marina and The Diamonds. She pressed play, locked her phone and continued her walk to school whilst eating her bagel that was still unfinished. The lyrics "No I'm not the type that you like..." echoing in her head

~~~~~

Sapphire's walk to school was only 10 minutes or so. They had buses but it was only a couple blocks so she didn't really see the point. Once she reached the stairs of the school she turned of her music and put it back into the bag. She shook the thoughts out of her head and made her way up the stairs.

Her locker was 2421. The first number meant what floor it was on and the last three were the actual locker number. She went up a flight of stairs and walked down the hallway and took the first right and started looking for her locker number. When she got there she put in her combination and got it open on her second try. It was nothing special. It had a shelf and two hooks and it was wide enough to fit all the books she would get and the binders she would need.

Her first class was history so she would just take what she needed for that period and her clothes for gym, which was second period. Walking into the classroom, sapphire realized she was the only one in there. Anxiety struck over. Was she in the wrong class? Or was she just really early?

"Are you Sapphire?" The teacher at her desk said interrupted Sapphire's frantic thoughts.

"Oh, Um... yeah. I'm Sapphire." She said shyly back

"So you must be our new student. Most of the kids stay with there friends by their lockers until the first bell rings and then take a mad dash for their classes." she says with a giggle. "I understand it can be a little nerve wracking being the new student, but if you ever need anything you can always come to me" She finished off with a friendly smile.

"Alright. Thank you." Sapphire replied

"Since it's the first day we aren't going to learn anything important but for later we're learning about WWII. Do you have any knowledge of it or are you completely new to history?"

"Um, I know the basics of it but not completely, I'm pretty good at history so I'm sure I'll catch on."

"That's fine. Oh I'm Miss. Quartz but most people call me by my first name, Rose."

"Nice to meet you. Is there anywhere I'm supposed to sit?"

"Where ever you can see the board and are most comfortable."

And with that the bell rang and the students started filing in and Sapphire took a seat in the second to last row all the way on the right side, close to the teacher's desk. Two seats up sat a maroon haired girl in athletic shorts and a red t-shirt, talking loud enough the entire class could her her.

If the class was going to be like this all year, high school wouldn't be entirely that bad.

1. This the longest thing I've written on Wattpad ever (812 words) 2. I don't feel entirely qualified to write a Ruby and Sapphire fanfic because I'm not a die-hard fan of Steven Universe but oh well.

I hope you enjoy the chapter  and I hope I have the motivation to make all my chapters this long!

Vote and Comment!