The Truth Is Bitter Just Like You

° The Truth Is Bitter Just Like You ° Chapter 4 °

~

"You are mine but things like him they will always be interfering. They believe in customs and will use any means necessary to make sure that no rules are broken."

"Rules...? What? It sounds more like they have sticks up their arses." I knew this conversation was going some place that would not be mutually liked.

"Yes... It's just... I've finally found you and I don't want to screw anything up. Your just so..." My Demon was struggling with words, almost as if he were waging an internal war about us.

"I'm just so fragile. Is that it? I'm human and your not... They wouldn't approve of anything we did. I'm a risk, an accident waiting to happen." When could my life change around? How could I think that no one would interfere with this? "It almost feels as if maybe we were never meant to be..." I whispered the last part, almost hoping he didn't hear.

"No... I mean sure your human and it does make you weaker... But what I meant was that you are stronger than you think. You have the power to change people, emotionally, and that power is part of what makes you so strong." There was no emotion in his words leaving them with a heavy feeling, as if they were a shroud that masked what lay hidden beneath.

"If that power is only part of what makes me 'stronger' then what is the other part of it, my supposed strength I mean?" I made a gesture with little air quotes as a mean to empathize that what he was talking about made me just a small amount tougher than any other human being.

"Fear."

Fear. Such a basic emotion yet it covered something that everyone felt, the fear of a creature or, in my case, the fear of being abandoned in the hands of experiment crazy doctors. This emotion didn't seem to be much of a power but I let my mind ponder over it. "So... What your telling me is that somehow I can use fear to an advantage?"

"In a manner yes, but it's not any fear you utilize, rather your own." His words seemed to echo as a low hiss while I tried to process the extent of what this very power could mean.

During this whole event I had been sitting in the same spot on the bed while he stood off to the side by the fireplace, looking out one of the windows. Not once did he look away from whatever had enraptured him, but if he was going to be telling me any jaw dropping news I wanted to be looking in his eyes, or at least his face, when he told me.

I slid off the bed and began to make my way over to him, slowing picking my way through the room in an attempt to prepare myself for what he just might say.

"What am I exactly supposed to do with this power or whatever you may call it?" I asked as I stood behind him, carefully studying that intricate weaving of the carpet on the wood floor.

"What you do is up to you but as for what it is just call it a little gift, from me to you," he said still looking out the window as I snuck a quick glance up at him.

I sighed mentally in my head. No one seemed above giving me a complicated answer that was a riddle for me to solve.

"I don't know how to do anything with my gift. Do you think I would be asking if I did?" My question was more of a challenge towards him than anything else. I stepped up beside him and stared at him. He had started this and nothing, not even a stupid bird outside, would get in the way of me finding out what he really meant.

My little advantage in the challenge was quickly tipped into his favor as he spun on his heels and forced me back against the wall, pinning my wrists above my head with one hand. He leaned forward and I could feel his icy breath on my neck causing my body to react by sending shivers down my spine.