chapter three.

"He's not your boyfriend." He said, pushing my hand away,

"I am." I said, looking him right in the eyes.

"He is," She muttered, I looked away from him for a minute to sneak a glance at Lilah, her face was red, and she was tearing up, I looked back at the guy.

"Now, I'd appreciate it if you left her alone." I said, sternly. I clenched my teeth and set my jaw, staring him down.

"I'm just trying to talk things out with MY girlfriend. Get out of my way." Lilah's arms were crossed and she was staring at the ground.

Whoever this guy was, he was pissing me the hell off. He began pushing me again, trying to get to her through the open door. I grabbed him by the front of his shirt, we were the same height, I pulled his face in dangerously close to mine.

"I am going to give you to the count of three, to get the hell out of here." I said, my voice low, my voice angry. He looked ready to punch me, I tightened my grip.

"One." I said, my gaze unwavering.

"Two." I said, my grip unfaltering.

"three." I said, my anger growing.

"Fine." He said, he leaned back, and as soon as I felt he wasn't a threat anymore, I let go of his shirt. He hung his head and walked out the door, looking back once, only to see me holding my ground. What an asshole. I closed the door behind him and turned my attention to Lilah.

"You-uh.. okay?" I asked, trying to get the ager out of my system, She looked up, arms still crossed over her chest, tears pouring out of her eyes.

"I-Yeah, now I am." She said, looking down towards her feet once more. "Thanks," She mumbled.
"Do you want me to stay for a bit?" I asked, "Incase he comes back or whatever?" she nodded. I removed my shoes and took her by the shoulders, walking her to the couch just behind the main entrance, she sat down and I sat down beside her, grabbing a blanket, I wrapped it around her shoulders, and for a while we just sat there. She stopped crying and began staring out the window. Sensing she was ready to talk, I started.

"That would be.. how did you put it.. 'the someone with evil brown hair', right?" I asked, she gave a halfhearted laugh as another tear fell down her cheek.

"That would be him, yes. Derrick."

"Derrick is an asshole." I said, she laughed again, a little happier this time.

"You could say that again. Thanks for, uh-that" She said, playing with her hands,

"Yea well, I have what you could call slight anger issues." I replied, "and by slight anger issues I mean.. major anger issues."

"Well, I'm glad, I couldn't have done that."

"Ex-boyfriend?" I asked, she just nodded, pulling the blanket tighter around her shoulders.

"Normally you wouldn't see me like this," She said.

"What are you- wearing someone elses face?" I asked, jokingly, she laughed, and sniffed, and wiped a tear off her face.

"No I mean, yesterday when you met me I was coming from a funeral and today- well you met my cheating ex boyfriend. I promise I'm not bad luck." She gave a little laugh.

"Don't worry about it." I said, we sat there for a second, not talking. I was studying her, she had (Your hair colour)hair, thrown up into a bun and (your eye color) eyes, she was very pretty, even crying. She must have noticed me noticing her because she looked up at me and smiled, wiping away a newly fallen tear.

"I think I'm okay here now," She said,

"You're sure?"

"Yeah, my friend Is actually out just getting me some groceries, she should be home soon."  She replied, smiling sadly.

"Well, as long as you're sure." She stood up, as did I and I followed her to the door, I put my shoes back on and stood facing her. A blanket was still draped over her shoulders, she was still in her Pjs, she was still crying, her hair was still up in a bun, but there was something different about her while she was looking at me, something I couldn't quite put my finger on. Quickly, she threw her arms over my shoulders, she was so short she had to stand on her tiptoes, I wrapped my arms around her waist.
"thank you." She said again.

"Its nothing," I said, she pulled away.

"If you ever need anything I'm just down the street." I said, rubbing the back of my neck, She smiled though she was still occasionally wiping her cheeks, I pulled open the door and  crossed the street, only to see a car pull into Lilah's driveway, I watched closely, half expecting someone with evil brown hair to get out, but it was only a tall, blonde haired girl, holding a couple bags of groceries. I continued to walk down the street until I got home.

   -            -          -

"What took you so long?" Asked Ross, the minute I walked in the door.

"Shut up, Ross." I called to him. I began taking off my shoes when Tim entered the room,

"No but seriously, did she like the casserole."

"I mean I think so." I said,

"Well what happened?" He asked, leaning on the banister.

"Well she took the Casserole, we had a little conversation and then her jerk ex boyfriend showed up." I said, finally I was shoeless and I began walking up the stairs. "He was a real asshole too, He was pushing her and yelling at her, it was ridiculous."

"What did you do.." Ross asked from the kitchen,

"Well, I stepped in front of the guy and asked him to leave." I said.

"You didn't punch him?" asked Tim, both he and I walking to the kitchen.

"No, I mean I was going to, but I grabbed him by the shirtfront and that seemed to scare him enough."

"Wow," Said Ross, "You had the chance to punch someone and you didn't"

"Hey, no need for that crap, Lilah was upset. The last thing I wanted to do was cause a fist fight."

"First name basis, huh?" teased Tim, Ross chimed in. "Lilax, I ship it so hard." The two of them laughed together.
"ha ha, very funny. Can't I just be a nice guy without being accused of liking someone?" I asked,

"Me? Yes, You? No." said Ross, he and Tim then made their way past me and into the hallway, laughing away. "Lilax, How cute."