Chapter 8 Clarity and Dreamless Sleeps

Two weeks later, Lily and I got the message that we were to start our first practical training session. We went to the Room Of Requirement as directed and found Dumbledore already there.

"Good evening girls. Let's start right away, shall we?" He greeted us brightly.

"Great idea Professor," I agreed, putting my hair up. "What should we do first?"

"Do you have any previous experience with Air power?" He asked.

"Not since I was very young and didn't know what I was doing," I admitted.

Dumbledore nodded. "Maybe we should start with Miss Evans today."

"Yes sir," Lily said, pulling her wand out.

"The spell you will work with first is one that will make Miss Potters senses sharpen. It will clear her head and allow her to focus on gaining control, then will put her in a deep sleep to recover."

"Sounds easy enough," Lily muttered quietly.

I laughed and Dumbledore's eyes twinkled as he watched us amused.

"Stand a few feet away from each other and Miss Potter, you are going to call on your Air power. There is a good chance that it will become uncontrollable and when it does, Miss Evans, you will cast the spell Tranquillitas and put all your force behind it. Understand?"

We both nodded and I stood in front of the wall with the mats lining the wall. The problem with Air was that you couldn't fill the room with more of it, what I had was what I was working with.

I closed my eyes and concentrated hard. To really be able to use my powers, I had to get a lot of emotion running through me. Something powerful, like anger, to get my adrenaline up.

I focused on Regulus and Snape. I pictured their stupid faces and their taunting and already felt myself getting angrier.

I imagined how it would feel to use my powers against them and felt the wind pick up. I channeled all of my strength into making the winds blow harder.

I felt myself become unsteady and realized that I was no longer controlling the wind, or myself. A pain shot through my knees as I landed on the pavement.

A yell reached my ears and I suddenly felt pressure releasing in my head. I could almost think clearly, I stood up and tried to focus on calming the storm I created, but nothing worked.

All at once, the winds died down and I felt all of the adrenaline exit my body. I was breathing heavily and felt drained.

"Excellent job girls, you're both catching on quite quickly," Dumbledore encouraged us.

"What happened? Wasn't I supposed to pass out?" I asked, sitting on the ground.

"Not the first time the spell is cast, I assume you felt a loss of pressure in your head, correct?"

I nodded, catching the water bottle Lily tossed me. She also looked drained and had sat in an armchair.

"That was the beginning stages of the clarity part of the spell. In time it will take fuller effect and it will work properly. For the first time however, I am very impressed Miss Evans."

Lily smiled weakly. "Thank you sir, I have to admit though, it took a lot out of me."

"Me too, who knew wind could be so hard to handle?" I groaned.

Dumbledore laughed at us. "I do believe that is all for today. We will continue with this next week. Goodnight ladies."

He exited the room and, after we were both able to move again, we followed suit.