Sixteen

"What have you done?"

Honestly, I wasn't sure if I had heard his gruff words correctly. It sounded as if he was asking me what I had done, when I hadn't done a thing.

It was him. He was the one who told me to leave, I took my chances to get away from here.

I admit, it wasn't my best decision.

Yet, I would do it all over again, just to get away from him.

Yes, I offered myself to him in order to save my friends. But, it was Prince Adam who had threatened to take Thomas away in the first place. I overheard the conversations prior to the ball, ones I probably shouldn't have. Everything was going to go to hell because of this one man.

And I hated him.

Inevitably, I still had to rely on this monster to save me.

I tried to stand up, managing to do so, but I was shoved down again. Just before I was thrown down, I felt something whip past my hair, whatever it was actually snagging a few strands of my locks and yanking them out.

"Stay down," Adam snarled in my ear, leaving me sprawled out in the muddy wasteland, stomach down. He had shoved me, but only to stop a carnivorous dog from ripping my throat to pieces. If he hadn't had pinned me - standing over my body, one hand pushing against my back, his cape brushing my legs - I probably wouldn't still be here. Tears started dripping down my face again, mixing with the gunk beneath me. The fear was pulsing through me, the adrenaline keeping me from passing out again.

"Run when I say," He ordered before letting up on the weight he was holding me down with, standing up to his full, menacing height. All at once the wolves attacked, their strength in numbers.

The beast launched himself at my attackers, easily taking out a few with one powerful strike. They were swarming him.

"Run, Ana!"

I didn't think, just bolted. My ankle was screaming at me to stop, but no way was I slowing down. Twigs and branches clawed at me, pain laced whines and yips echoing behind me in between the howls of the wind. If it was just a few degrees colder, it could be snowing. One twisted roar cut through to me. It was Adam's cry.

Against my will, I stopped. Unfortunately, once I did stop, my body couldn't continue anymore. My knees quivered and gave out, landing me back in the position I was in twenty seconds ago. Sprawled out, covered in dirt and grime, and soaked to the bone because of this monsoon.

"Help," I whispered to the wind, clutching my hands to my chest, unable to quell the shivers that racked up and down my body, letting my eyes close to block the rain pelting down.

"Aren't you a mess"

I didn't have the energy to bite back, tensing up as strong arms easily lifted me up, pressing me against a firm chest. It was easy to relax against it, once I realized it wasn't Prince Adam. His strides were quick, but he wasn't running. As I glanced up at his face, I could tell he wasn't pleased.

Within minutes we were at the front gates of the castle, Calder basically dumping me on the steps.

"Please, help him," I called after him as he disappeared back into the woods, leaving me to limp through the front door and be bombarded with many different voices and an array of questions.

"What's happened?"

"Where are the masters?"

"Young lady, did you go to the west wing?"

"Are you injured?"

One voice finally cut through the rest, the tiny teapot accompanying it starting to usher the other servants away to give me a bit of breathing room.