{ 3 }

{ Weiss }

I softly sigh as I begin to get ready and presentable for my birthday ball. How many people are going to be there? How many suitors did father invite? How many suitors are going to sweep me off my feet from cheesy lines and boring stories that would win my heart? I wasn't looking for a man to have in my life just yet. I want to grow up, mature a little more before I finally find myself a suitable partner. Miss Mary had already set out my attire for the night. A knee length shimmering silver dress with two inch shoulder straps, white two inch heels, my silver circlet with diamonds inlaid into the intricate and elegant design, and my diamond necklace that used to belong to my mother. It wasn't that bad of a choice. Once I had gotten changed out of my dress that I wore during the day, Mary came back to my room to do my hair. As always, she put my hair in a perfect side ponytail. "Thank you Mary for all of your help today," I said politely once she had finished with my hair.

"Your welcome, my lady," the young woman said as she wore a soft smile. "You look so much like your mother." Everyone keeps telling me that and yet I haven't seen a single picture or painted portrait throughout the castle. Maybe father had them taken down so he wouldn't have to deal with such heartache from the loss of his queen.

"Is it time to head down to the ball room," I asked. Mary nodded respectfully and then left so I could make my way to the event. I walked down the grand staircase towards the ball room. The two guards by the door bowed and announced my appearance, having everyone in the room either bow or curtsey in respect. The music had resumed and everyone went about their business before I made my arrival.

"What took you so long, my gem," father asked as he approached with a glass of champagne in his right hand.

"Sorry father. It took a bit longer than expected to get my hair done," I stated, somewhat lying to his face.

"I see. Go enjoy yourself darling. There are a few fine gentlemen that would like to get acquainted with you," father said. I nodded and curtsied in respect. Then father walked off into the sea of people. I sighed and just walked around the room for a moment, trying to find a place to remain for a majority of the celebration.

"Your highness," a young man greeted with a bow to follow. I stopped in my step and faced the young man. A knight? Oh wonderful. Father really expects a knight to be a promising suitor? I curtsied.

"What is your name, sir knight," I questioned appropriately.

"Jaune Arc, your highness," he replied. A noble name for a knight I must say. He seemed presentable and kindhearted.

"You can drop the formalities, Sir Jaune," I said politely. I don't really like being addressed as 'your highness', 'my lady', 'm'lady', and whatever respectful titles you would give one of royal or noble blood.

"Of course. Are you enjoying the ball, your hig- Weiss," he asked promptly.

"I guess. I mean, I'm not one for huge gatherings."

"I see. Not one for the attention?" I shook my head. "I bet you get that a lot from your father. He seems like a honorable and kind man."

"He is. I'm his 'gem' as he likes to address me sometimes." Sir Jaune was puzzled by that. I sighed. Must I explain everything out fully for someone to understand? "I'm his prize possession basically. I'm the jewel of the kingdom, unlike my sister. Yes she holds great purpose, good qualities, and some power, but she wasn't worshiped like I am."

"Ah," the young man said in reply. I just wanted to be left alone for just five minutes. "Well, I will let you to enjoy the celebration, Weiss." He bowed and walked away. Finally, I felt like I could breathe. I continued searching for a hiding place but was stopped yet again by another gentleman.