Wherever I May Go

Kaia's POV

Foster care is a repetitive system. You stay at a house for a few months and then you're shipped away to another home, just hoping and praying that someday somehow you'll be lucky enough to find a permanent home. I had been in this same system for eight years. At the awkward age of 16 it was very unlikely I'd be graced with a long term family. Just when I thought my pattern could never be ended, my social worker gets a call that they found a home for me in the lovely country of Canada. Why would anyone ever want a washed up teenager instead of a brand new baby. Well I guess I consider myself lucky most kids at my age never leave the system they almost always age out and end up on the streets. Now I find myself beside my social worker Edward; a short taut hispanic who'd become one of my only friends. He smiles at me softly as our plane descends into the Ontario airport. The airport was smaller than I'd expected especially for the nation's capital. Edward releases my hand and pushes me towards two strangers who greet me with open arms. "Kaia welcome home! I'm Molly and this is Joel." The woman says, she has large brown eyes and sandy blonde hair. The man beside her looks a little uncomfortable while I squirm uncomfortably from her tight grip. Molly starts making small talk overjoyed to have me with them. "I c-"

"Mom this bag is to die for." A tall skinny blonde approaches us interrupting Molly, her hair is tied up in a messy bun latched in place with a studded clip."Harper meet Kaia your sister." Sister wow that was unexpected I'd never had a real sister my foster siblings were just random strangers I often avoided them not caring whether they liked me or not. Maybe this was a good opportunity to create a bond with someone. Her dad gestures her towards me while my new mom goes through the paper work with Edward.

"What on earth are you wearing? That sure won't fly at Degrassi." I stare blankly while she insults me my vision of a sister vanishes into thin air. "Harper please." Joel seethes; Harper continues to type rapidly into her iPhone laughing at a text someone sent her. "All ready?" Molly asks us,

"One second." I run over to give Edward one final hug holding him as tight as possible, "Don't get deported whatever you do." I joke with Edward. A single tear drips down my face as I say goodbye to my old life. "Goodbye Chica." Edward releases me and sends me off with the three complete strangers one of which obviously didn't like me.

During the car ride my new family bombards me with questions, I don't blame them for wanting to get to know someone who is a complete stranger to them yet is their new daughter. Harper remains silent as if it pains her to breathe the same air as me.

************************

After about an hour long drive we pull up to a huge mansion I'd never lived in a place as nice as this one and in most foster homes there were at least 5 or 6 kids. I let out a long breath. "Did you seriously invite that dumb ass over." Joel points to a Red Volvo parked out front. Harper smiles, "I thought Drew should meet the newest member of our fam." A boy with caramel colored skin and a wide smile steps out of his beat up car. "That boy is such a doof the only thing he's got going for him is his pretty boy looks." Joel rolls his eyes when Harper waltzes up to her boyfriend.

The Lawette house is even bigger than its exterior inside, massive appliances line the marbled kitchen, state of the art televisions and modern couches add to the living room along with expensive looking paintings and family photos. Drew and Harper run up to her room giggling. "Doors open please!" Molly yells to her delinquent daughter who in spite of her mother's wishes slams the door in her face.

"Okay how about we show you your room! We weren't sure what color you'd like so we went with a Tiffany Blue... Harper suggested it but if you don't like it we could totally paint over it no problem." Joel rambles. "No I love it!" I step into my room which is like a fantasy, A large king bed with a  Tiffany blue and white polkadot duvet sits in the middle of the room a huge walk in closet filled with brand new clothes, shoes, even little Victoria's Secret underwear, and a huge flat screen tv wow this room is insane. "You should have everything you need here including your uniform for school, which you'll be starting tomorrow. I'm sure you'll love Degrassi." Molly gives me another uncomfortable hug then leaves the room with Joel.