The Fire

Intense heat roared into the cold air. Bright flames licked at the dark skies having already enveloped the buildings. How did this happen? Were we not careful?

The sky is filling with the thick black smoke. It is choking us out of our sins. Our punishment must be endured. There is no use stopping it. The flaming wrath has spread to all of the city by now. Those of us left just watch. Watch the only home we knew become covered in the tongues of flame. We dare not cover our eyes. This is our doing. We were not careful.

There are no screams. At least we will all die together in our sin. The least we should do is pride in our devastation. I stepped forth feeling the thick waves of heat on my skin. I prepared myself for the end, but I couldn't take that last step. The flames are everywhere I look. I ran. Away from my people. Away from my sin. Away from the flames.

I watched the glow of our small town only grow. The fire spread into the trees and mountains. Even the wind appeared to be aflame that night. I was the sole survivor. My brothers had died silently. The pain of realization struck me. If this was to end in fire, then why didn't I? Why did I run? Why was I the only one to run?

My people fell. I am alone now. I watched the flames die until dawn. Grief for those gone overcame me. The pain was awful. My chest burned so bad. I clutched my chest trying to rid myself of the pain. It was no use. Sparks flew and I combusted in a fiery glory. Nothing but ash left behind.

In fire, I ended just like the rest.