Chapter 2

The next day at the shoot was a lot more stressful. One of the outfits ripped and a whole load of material disasters occurred. It was all very dramatic. A nail-biting kind of day. Rose, the photographer, showed up twenty minutes early. I guess she valued her job after all. Although when she got there, she did look a little stressed.  Her cheeks were flushed and her hair fell around her in waves and knots. She still managed to pull it off though.

Whilst the crew stressed about fabrics and stitching, Antonio, my newest boyfriend, arrived with a bouquet of roses. I melted into an embrace and took the flowers modestly, as often practiced.

"What's this for? Aren't you supposed to be in a meeting with the board today?" I asked, puzzled. "You never visit me at work."

He laughed, showing off a set of dazzling white teeth.

"Since the board director couldn't make it because of the ice, the meeting was postponed, and I had no other reason to be at work so I left early. I thought you'd be glad to see me."

"I am glad to see you. Of course I am." It's true, I was. But it's like how you'd be glad to see your little puppy after a stressful day at work, not that I found any stress in my work as a model. It was odd, that I'd never seemed to have actual affection for any of the countless men I had dated, but I assumed one day the right man would come along and none of that would matter. As I was smelling the roses, I was, coincidentally, approached by  Rose.

"Miss Valentine, Markus would like you to try a few things on." I barely glanced at her, but Antonio turned and took in a full body view of the photographer. And with his heavy Spanish accent he spoke words I did not want to hear.

"Aren't you going to introduce us,  Alex?" He didn't take his eyes off of Rose, and she just stood there awkwardly, like a museum piece.

"Antonio, photographer. Photographer, Antonio. You're introduced." I tried to make for the door subtly but again, was interrupted by my puppy.

"Does photographer have a name or shall I just call her photographer?" Photographer looked embarrassed. It may have been because we were talking about her in third person, and not actually using her name.

"My name is Rose. I just started working here yesterday." Antonio gave her an ear to ear smile.

"Rose is a very pretty name, no?" She smiled humbly, but she didn't seem to be in denial. That bitch wanted to steal my man. Sure, call me paranoid all you like. I knew girls like Rose. They come across all timid and humble and sweet but really they're destructive and cold and heartless. I had to stop this evil plot before it could progress.

"Antonio, could you come and help me try on some clothes?" I knew he couldn't refuse this. He would have taken any chance to see me strip. "Photographer, go take some photos. Thanks." Antonio and I walked off together, and I let myself smile smugly for a second as I saw Rose shake her head in the corner of my eye.

**********************************

I stepped out of the limo onto the gravelly path of my house. Or rather, hotel, which my father owned of course. A doorman rushed over to help me to the door, what with the weather being so dangerous. Especially when you're in 6 inch heels.

"Greetings Miss Valentine. I trust you had a nice day?"

"Not particularly."

He saved me from a slippery encounter at the steps, before holding the door open for me.

"Thank you Smithy."

I made my way towards the elevator and towards the top floor, all of which was mine. I walked over to the glass wall overlooking the city and stood in silence for a short while. Thinking about everything, thinking about nothing. Appreciating. Then there was a sharp ping, signalling the opening of the lift. I frowned, having expected no company, and spun around to see a silver haired man in a multi thousand dollar suit greeting me with a subtle smile and open arms.

"Father!" I rushed towards him and gave him a warm hug. "I wasn't expecting to see you before Christmas.

"Well, sweetie, here I am. In the flesh. How's the photo shoot going?"

"It's going well. Clarissa left though."

"Clarissa?"

"My photographer, you know, the red head."

"Ah yes, Clarissa. What a shame, she was a fine photographer. I hope Rose is a suitable replacement though."

"How do you know her?"

"Sweetie it was your cousin Lance who recommended her. Didn't you hear?"

"How does Lance know Rose?"

"They went to university together. They were good friends." It was all I could do not to spit at the thought of her. "Anyway sweetie,  I didn't come to make conversation about Rose or Lance or, well, anyone."

He handed me a small gift-wrapped box. I looked at it, confused.

"You're supposed to wait until Christmas to give me my presents." He sighed.

"Sweetie, I have some bad news. I'm afraid I have a lot of work to do and I won't be here on  Christmas. That's why I'm here now."

"You're serious? It's a family tradition. We host our annual Christmas gathering together and you get drunk and I get rich. Or... Richer. You can't leave me alone on Christmas day!"

"You won't be alone though. You can host the Christmas Party, I'll arrange for the caterers to come here and help you out. I'll call you on Christmas morning to see how you're doing. If I could have it any other way I would, but I have to do this, it's vital."

"It's always vital, father. You're never here for me."

"Sweetie, you're an adult now. You don't need me by your side 24/7, I'm sure."

"No, but Christmas is usually the exception." I gave him a doe-eyed look. "Please father."

"I'm sorry Alexandra, I can't be here. But the majority of the family will make it, I'm sure. It won't be that bad. Trust me." He gave me a kiss on the cheek. "My driver is waiting for me, I have to go to the airport."

"Already? You just got here."

"I know and I'm sorry. I promise I'll find time for you and I after Christmas."

"Where are you going anyway?"

"Tokyo. I'll have to take you one time, it really is beautiful." With another kiss on the cheek, he spun around and entered the lift. The doors came to a close between us.

"Don't open your present until Christmas, sweetie."