12.

For Coleng!

Use the HT #AfterUs12 and send your tweets @rjandmengconvos!

-

HER

It takes Maine sixteen minutes.

[Sixteen minutes] The bar stool numbs her butt; she has been sitting on it for the past three hours; drinking scotch and whiskey while annoying DJ who was currently at work. She would pretend to tease him for being a little charming to the girls approaching him for a drink but DJ only shrugs her off and says, "Ninna knows I love only her". And she remembers every story her friends from work tell her whenever they would go out with Alden without Maine. They would tell her that they saw a group of girls; long haired, dark-eyed girls who wore skimpy shorts and a mid-rib that hugged their chest so tight, it always seemed like it would pop. They would flaunt themselves around Alden, some would even dare touch him and their friends would tease him but he would only reply with "Maine knows I love only her".

[Fifteen minutes] DJ shoots her a warning look when she orders another glass of scotch from his co-worker. It's her fourth but she wasn't drunk yet. She wasn't even close to drunk. She was busy talking everyone's ear off and entertaining DJ and his co-workers through her stories. She sees DJ check his phone from his pocket and a huge grin spreads across his face and she knows it's Ninna checking up on him. And maybe her as well. She remembers the many times the fans would tease Alden online for always being on the phone when he was away from her; when he was working out of town and especially if he was working out of the country. Thousands of candid photos of him would be posted online; all which he was talking or texting on his phone.

[Fourteen minutes] A drunken couple sits beside her and starts making out. Maine gasps in disgust and DJ throws a tissue at her and laughs. In the three times that Maine brought Alden to a bar, they were always caught in a situation like this; a drunken couple sits beside them or stands near them and they would start making out. Alden would give her a teasing look. "Should we do it too?" He'll ask. She'll playfully punch him in his arm and he'd take her hand as they walked outside and to his car. It wasn't because she didn't like making out with him but it was one of those things that they reserved for their eyes only.

[Thirteen minutes] DJ finally takes a fifteen minute break where he spends responding to e-mails to his clients. Maine forgets that he is an accountant in the morning and the bartender thing is just something he does for fun. She asks him what date it is and he replies with the numerical number of the date. Maine scoffs and gets herself another beer. She isn't drunk yet but she's getting there. DJ tells the bartender to stop giving her more alcohol after that beer. "Today could have been our sixth year anniversary". She gulps from the bottle and scoots closer to DJ who only gives her a 'so-what' look. "I miss him." She says. Surprisingly, he doesn't say an annoying reply or the truth. He kisses her temple and ruffles her hair. "I know, kiddo. I know."

[Twelve minutes] The DJ slows down the music. All the drunken couple takes the dance floor; their hands wrapped around each other as they cap of their nights with a sweet song. An image of Alden and her dancing on the kitchen tiles at two in the morning in her condominium without any music except for the sleepy hums of Alden flashes in her head and she feels a pang in her chest. She looks down at her bottle; it's almost done. Maybe she should get another one. And so she does. She knows that DJ heard her but she's thankful he just let it pass. She needs this bottle. Just one more bottle.

[Eleven minutes] She suggests going to Alden's house which DJ says no before she could even finish her suggestion. "It's far and I don't want to." Maine drops her head and on his shoulder and gets up again before twirling on her stool. "I go to his house every year on our anniversary". She shares. DJ slips his phone back in his pocket and goes back behind the counter. "Well, duh." He didn't get it.