Ninth

"What are we doing, guys?"
None of us replied.

"There's no one left, what are we supposed to do?" I finally took my head off of Carter.

"The military is still here." Denise said as she looked out the window.

"Then let's go get them." Carter suggested.

"I'll go to the military. You guys have to do something about the party." Denise said as she looked at Ben. "You can keep keep them safe until I come with the military and it will all turn out okay."

"How about, we all go to the military so we all live?" Carter sounded like he was getting angry again.

"Because if we all go to the military, who's going to help the party? Stop here." Denise told Ben then we all stepped out of the car.
Carter, Augie, and I stood beside the car as Denise and Ben walked down the road.

"I really gotta pee." I whined as I paced around the car.

"Go in the bushes." Carter pointed to the forest.

"There's no toilet paper."

"Improvise."

"I can hold it. Hey Augie, what badges do you have?" I walked over and squinted as I looked at the badges sewn to his shirt. I could easily guess some of them.

"I have almost all of them." He stood proud.

"Pretty nice. All these skills must come in handy, huh?"

"They can. I was supposed to get my condor badge today." He looked at Carter.

"It's not my fault a zombie apocalypse started tonight." Carter threw his hands up.

"What badges you got, Carter?" I walked back over to him and looked at his shirt.
There were only five badges sewn to it.
"What do you even do in scouts because it doesn't look like you try and get badges."
I heard Augie laugh from the other side of the car.

"Well, we'll just give the asshole badge to you then." He pulled his shirt out of my grasp.

"I would gladly accept that badge." I smiled just as Ben walked back up to the car. I looked past him and saw a light disappearing down the road.

"Guys, let's go we've gotta get to the party."

"Ben, this is a suicide mission." Augie told him as the three of us walked up to Ben.

"They're going to bomb this town in less than 2 hours."

"What if Denise reaches the military in time?" Carter asked and I agreed with him.

"And what if she doesn't, Carter? Then what? Who's going to save them? The police? They're gone. The military? They're not coming either. We're the last line of defence. And so what, maybe we look like dorks in these uniforms. And maybe we're a big joke to everyone at school. Who knows if Rachel will even talk to us when she comes. But tonight,we're going to show them what being a scout is all about. So are we just going to stand here with our thumbs up our asses, or are we going to go out there and save the world?"

"Fuck yeah, dude." Carter nodded.

"That was a really good speech, Ben."

"Thanks, Augie."

"Let's do it."

We all jumped back into the car and awaited what was going to come. "The rec center's that way." Augie pointed ahead.

"We're making a pit stop first." Ben slammed on the gas and we went shooting down the road.

"There's no way in hell I'm leaving you guys." I laughed as I looked at Augies face which was all twisted from fear of going so fast.
A short drive lead us to a plaza and straight into a True Value store. We climbed out of the car and to different sections of the store to prepare ourselves for killing. I went straight to the sports section and grabbed a baseball bat. I swung it a few times to make sure the weight and length were right, then I got down to work. With a power drill, I made multiple holes in the bat about the size of nails. Then, I hammered the nails into the holes so they were wedged in nice and tight. I strapped on some batting gloves for comfort and joined the boys in the front of the store. We all looked at each other's weapons with nods of approval.

"Are we ready?" I asked.

"Fuck yeah." Carter said and the rest nodded.