Idle Talk

Roxy's never been a fan of idle gossip. She remembers all too well the snobbish girls of Oxford who threw away gossip from person to person like used tissues. They were bitchy things, drivel driven by queen bees who realized that their minions had been going around under their noses doing things that were apparently considered "disloyal." Suzy B. had slept with Tara I.'s ex-boyfriend's half-brother's frat brother, Poppy U. had too much to drink and plunged face first into the sidewalk, etc.

She was understandably not happy when her uncle decided to bring up her love life.

Percival was more of a brother than an uncle. He was younger than the other Kingsmen; at thirty-four, he was still in the prime of his life. He was mild and well-mannered most of the time, although he had been known to occasionally throw a random virus onto Merlin's precious computer system in order to demand a raise.

(That is, until Merlin retaliated and recorded a video threatening to vandalize Percival's precious teacup collection. Percival never went anywhere near Merlin's office again.)

Said love life discussion occurred the night that Arthur had decided that sending three Kingsmen to Rome was necessary in order to apprehend an arms dealer. All three had protested heavily; one in need of rest, one in need of "injuries," and one by saying, "What the fuck, Harry, I jus' got back!"

Arthur wasn't moved, and Roxy had ended up in a smoky 1920s themed club, lounging on a couch sipping a champagne flute while she watched her uncle flirt shamelessly with a nearby performer. Percival's Italian was flawless, and he must have been saying something full of rubbish or undeniably smooth, because the girl's silver feathers shook as she laughed. Reaching for Percival's hand, Roxy could only roll her eyes and scoff as the girl scribbled down her number, blew a kiss, and scrambled away. Turning back to his niece, Percival grinned.

"I think she liked me."

"Did she now?" Roxy murmured, raising an eyebrow. "We're supposed to be doing recon, not trying to get into some poor girl's pants."

"I suppose." Percival leaned back thoughtfully. Glancing around the club, Roxy glimpsed an elderly man, belly full with food that could only have been bought through years of money, tugging on the short skirt of another performer.

Roxy nearly jumped out of her seat, but her uncle reached a hand over, blocking her way. "Easy, Lancelot."

"He's definitely grabbing her ass."

"Let it happen. We can't blow your cover."

"It's only one annoying, fat, posh guy."

"I'm only one annoying, slightly chubby, posh guy, what are you trying to say?"

"At least you don't go around trying to perform statutory rape."

"Well, look at them now." Percival raised his whiskey glass at the couple. The performer was now in the old man's lap, giggling. He looked gratified, and Roxy let out an exasperated sigh as she turned back to a smug Percival.

"Money can't buy people everything."

Percival was quiet before he replied. "You know that better than anyone."

Roxy elected to ignore the bait, although she knew that he was looking at her with concern. She scanned the crowd again. "Where's Galahad?" She touched a finger to her ear, rubbing her earpiece. "This is working, right?"

Percival tapped the side of his glasses. "He's still in the tunnels, but he should be here soon." Suddenly, Percival leaned forward with the practiced grace of a tiger leaping towards its prey. "Speaking of our lovely Galahad, I heard that you two have started quite the tumultuous relationship."

Roxy's head snapped up. "Who did you hear it from? I didn't tell anyone? Where the fuck—"

"Well, you didn't tell anyone at work, although I think Arthur and Merlin know already. And I've know pretty much for months." Percival leaned closer to her, as if he was one of the Oxford gossip squad. "But the thing you neglected to tell all of us was that you tried to bring him home to Carla and Richard."

Roxy winced at the memory of Christmas. Her parents had not taken kindly to Eggsy. "I didn't want you to know."

"And I'm hurt. Truly, Lancelot, I'm hurt." Percival beat a fist against his heart for effect. "But I'm utterly shocked that you would abandon all common sense in order to be able to take your boyfriend home for the holidays."

"I briefly considered that they would like him, and that led to everything else."

Percival snorted. "'Everything else' doesn't do what happened justice. Your parents—"

"I don't need to know what happened, Perce, I was there. And I don't consider them my parents anymore."

"Well, that was bound to happen, although I'll confess that I thought you'd break away sooner. I was blessed to be born when Carla was already judgemental and pruney, but most importantly of all, almost out of the house."

Roxy allowed herself a short laugh. Percival continued. "But still, you could tell everyone everything about you and Galahad. No one would care. I mean, we do care, we've been shipping you two for months—"

"What?"

Percy waved a dismissive arm. "Doesn't matter. The only thing that does is—" he broke off, and refocused his eyes on her. He lowered his voice, quietly enough so that it would be hard even for their comms to pick up. "Do you love him?"

Roxy felt something in her chest constrict. She could tell that her breathing had sped up, based off of the flashing light at the corner of her glasses, and her heart rate had elevated as well. Percival had moved an arm in front of her, to catch her if necessary, although he was still looking at her intensely. Why was this so hard to say in front of someone else? The hard part had been telling Eggsy, surely. After that, someone was supposed to be free, they were supposed to know that their partner loved them. But Roxy couldn't choke out the barest syllable to her uncle.

The last time she had told Eggsy that she loved him... how long had that been? One, two months ago? Had it really been that long? What had happened two months ago?

Christmas.

Before Christmas, things had been clear cut. Things had been calm and smooth, and Roxy had let her guard down. Now, her walls were back up, brick built up to the sky.

"I do," she managed to choke out finally. She turned desperately to Percival. "Why is this so hard?"

Percy's eyes were somber as he replied. "Because you're still not sure yet."

~*~

Soooo... heyyy.... How have you been doing?

It's been a while, I know. Believe me, I've been wracked with guilt for not updating, but I feel a lot better after this chapter.

You guys aren't quite getting the Christmas chapter yet, but hopefully it'll be up in a few weeks... or days... or months...

But if you've stuck with me until now, you guys are amazing! Cookies for everyone! (::) (::)