Chapter 1: Today Is Not a Good Day

    The inky black sky glittered with stars was a beautiful sight as I was lying down on the soft green grass. I never thought that staring at the clear starry night sky would be calming. Either that or it's the shock... but why would I be in shock? I could hear panicked voices gradually increasing. Maybe they were approaching me but why? Who are they? Why would they panic? I'm not in pain, I just feel... serene. Familiar faces come into view but I can't put a name to them. Different emotions flashed on their faces; Sadness... Panic...Anger... Regret... but why? Why aren't they happy? The sky is beautiful tonight! I feel tired. They're telling me to hold on and that help is coming. Why would I hold on? I don't need help, I'm fine! I'm just really tired. I'll just go to sleep. The glittering stars were slowly disappearing and those familiar faces were slowly fading as I close my eyes, facing the dark sky.

~~~~

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

    I groaned groggily as my alarm clock screeched for me to wake up. I turned around and slammed my hand on the snooze button before pulling the soft blanket over my head, mumbling about throwing the alarm clock to the wall repeatedly. It's a Saturday and I want to spend it by staying in bed or watching Youtube videos. Wait... I don't turn on my alarm on the weekends. I snapped my eyes open, fully awake, to look at the alarm clock which flashed that today is Friday and I only have less than 10 minutes before school starts.

    "Shi...Tzu" I censored myself as I threw my blanket off me and ran to the bathroom to shower, change, and brush my teeth. 5 minutes gone...less than 5 to go. I ran down the stairs with my bag in tow to the kitchen where my mom is on the table, typing on her laptop. I took the bottle of aspirin on the table, took a large bite of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich from the plate, pecked my mom on the cheek, and rushed to the front door.

    "Don't work yourself too hard." She said, not looking away from her work. I opened the door and hollered, "I know. Bye, Mom!" Closing the door behind me, I ran as quick as I can despite what my mom just told me, hoping that I was fast enough to reach school in time since it was, fortunately, a few blocks away.

    Heart pounding painfully and legs pumping automatically, I pushed forward to reach the front gates of the school, I ignored the pain from my back as my bag hits it with every running step I made. I was so focused in getting pass the school gates, I bumped into something so abruptly that I ended up landing hard, air knocked out of me, on the sidewalk.

    I painfully sat up on my elbows to look at the thing I ran into. It was a man in glasses who was wearing a navy blue business suit. He was currently bending on one knee, gathering papers which, I presumed, came from the now - open briefcase lying next to me.

    Part of me wanted to get up and to continue running just so I could reach my first class in time but a small but strong part of me wanted to take a short breather to apologize and help the man gather the scattered papers.

    I took a painful deep breath and stood up, "I'm so sorry," I crouched down and helped the man gather the papers to his briefcase, "I wasn't looking where I was going."

    As I was gathering the papers, I noticed that they were medical files with pictures of patients and prescription papers. Odd. Why would a business man have these? I looked up from gathering papers when I heard a chuckle. The man in the suit adjusted the glasses perched on his nose and smiled, "It's alright. I'm in no h-hurry," he gave me a knowing look, "but you, on the other hand, should better go before you're late to school. I'll handle this mess."

    I looked at him in shock. He's not mad? He would let me go because I was late? I hesitantly stood up and began heading toward the school, "Uh...Thank you!" and began to sprint. I heard a "You're very welcome!" in the distance as I entered the school building.