Chapter 2

THE AWKWARD TENSION during the flight was both palpable and uncomfortable for both Emily and Claire. Neither of the two knew from where and how to start the conversation from because the last time they talked it ended up being a disaster. Since the past four days, their conversation consisted of concise questions from Claire that mostly revolved around their shifting and one-worded crisp answers from Emily. The silence usually persisted for hours between them that even the ticking of wall clock hanging in the lounge resonated through the house. Emily knew that she was mostly to blame in their argument­ after all she was the one who started it in the first place but at the same time she also blamed her mother for always making unreasonable demands and remarks since her marriage from where all their disputes stemmed from. Emily did want to apologize for the mistakes on her part but she just didn't know how to end that tense awkward silence and converse with her own mother.

Fidgeting in her seat, she tried to formulate different ideas in her head on how to break the frosty ice with her mother. 'Mom, I'm sorry how things went down between us...' No, Emily thought, this is how I always start apologizing to her and repeating this one sentence I sound insincere even to myself right now. Switching her crossed legs, she started again with her train of thoughts, 'I shouldn't have acted the way I did back then, but why do you always have to talk about things that infuriates me especially relating to your husband and –' Emily immediately shook her head to erase that last thought which would undoubtedly lead towards another heated quarrel, and that too in a plane where she won't even be able to storm of from her mother also the fact that there will be quiet an audience to entertain to.

"Emily if you're done with your inner monologue, you can just tell me what's bothering you instead of overthinking everything." Claire spoke eyeing Emily from the corner of her eyes as she flipped another page of the magazine she was reading.
"What? Oh I'm okay mom, there's nothing bothering me." Emily spoke, surprised by the sudden statement of her mother because she was sure that her mother was far too invested in the magazine to notice her.
"Your constant fidgeting tends to say otherwise Em." Claire said flipping the magazine shut and tilted her head towards Emily. "I think it's time we should talk about what happened a couple days back."
"Yeah I think we should do that and I'd like to start by apologizing for going overboard with my emotions. I shouldn't have spoken to you the way I did back then." Emily admitted hanging her head low.

"It's okay Emily, I understand that this whole situation is difficult for you. Even I'm sorry for bringing up that incident and therapy at such a moment. I'm also sorry for forcing you to accept George as your father. I should understand that relationships cannot be imposed, it's a choice of loving and accepting someone as a part of your life. I won't do that ever again. Accepting or not accepting George as your father will completely be your decision. You accepting him as my husband will be more than enough for me."
And that's all he'll ever be, Emily thought, I won't allow him to be anything more than that.
"Thank you Ma for saying this. It's all I've wanted." Emily said softly, gently squeezing her mother's hand.

­­­

...................

"You know if he was actually that happy to have us here, he would've had come to receive us personally instead of sending a car." Emily rolled her eyes before getting out of the car.
"Emily, please don't start with this all over again. I told you that he had a really important meeting that he couldn't postpone." Claire sighed, shaking her head. "I know I promised not to force anything on you but that doesn't mean that you can be disrespectful to him. He is my husband after all."
"Of course he is." Emily mumbled under her breath rolling her eyes. "I'm sorry, I'll behave."
"Thank you Em, I would really appreciate that."
"But mom, honestly, doesn't his house looks creepy to you. I mean, it straight up looks like those haunted mansions in those horror movies where everyone ends up dying." Emily said warily eyeing the huge looming house that was partly covered in vines.
"You need to stop watching those kind of movies then Em, because they're only filling your head with all sorts of garbage." Claire huffed giving Emily a sharp look.

"I mean, she's not really wrong Claire. My house does really look like a desolated wreck and kind of eerie." A deep voice came from behind them. George Stephan was a handsome man even in late forties with a good built, clean-shaven face and a few gray strands showing. He definitely had aged like fine wine. Clad in midnight blue suit he walked towards them with a slight smile on his face. "But let me tell you Emily, it was only because no one was here before to make it a proper home. I'm sure with you guys here, this house will make a good home for us. You both are going to love it here I promise."
"Oh George! I finally get to see after so long," Claire gave George a quick hug with a peck on lips, "And of course we're going to love it here because we'll be together like a proper family. Don't mind Emily, she doesn't mean what she said. She's only joking."
"But I wasn't joking." Emily grumbled under her breath.
"Emily" Claire glared at her, mouthing her to apologize when George wasn't looking.
"Fine. I'm sorry dearest stepfather." Emily gritted her teeth.
"Emily!" Claire looked at her daughter in disbelief and disappointment.
"What? I apologized nicely mom." Emily shrugged.
"Em"

"Claire it's okay, I don't mind." George chuckled, "I think we should all head inside now, you ladies must be tired and dinner is ready too. I made everything that you and Emily like." George said shushing Claire before she could scold Emily any further. "Finally! I'm actually starving. That's the first and only best thing you've said until now." Emily taunted smiling as she began to move inside with her luggage.

"I'm glad you liked at least something about me." George smiled raising his brows. "You can leave the luggage here, my staff will carry it to your room."
"Keep saying good stuff like that and I might actually come to like you." Emily gave him a tight-lipped smile, still wary of his friendly and cordial.
"Of course" George smiled ushering Claire inside who was still glaring at Emily, which definitely meant trouble for later.
Emily walked behind the couple and as she was just about to enter the house, George lowly whispered in her ear, "You must also remember that in those movies, unimportant characters always die first."

_________________­____ .