Chapter 5

THE BUILDING STOOD tall in its architecture grandeur and magnificence. The ornate wrought-iron gates opened into a wide cobblestone driveway with towering oak trees lining the path. Constructed with marble and hand-crafted stonework, the building boasted wealth and luxury with grand archways and intricate friezes as it sprawled over a vast expanse of manicured lawns. Emily felt overwhelmed and slightly rattled by the school's grandiose appearance that emanated a sense of extravagance. Carefully keeping her facial expressions blank and indifferent, Emily tried not to let anxiety overcome her features so as to not give her stepfather a point of weakness of hers. Even after politely declining several times during breakfast, George had insisted to drive Emily on the first day of her new high school — which her mother found annoyingly endearing — as her car was to be transported the next day leaving her stuck in this situation.

"So, are you excited about your new school?" George attempted to initiate small-talk with Emily as he entered the parking space, which was crowded with several other luxury cars and buzzing with students — most of them had this aura that reeked of wealth and extravagance. "I chose the best high school for you and I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience for you which you're definitely going to love."
"By the looks of the building and people, I already feel like an outcast." Emily muttered under her breath.
"I'm sorry, did you say something?"
"I said that there was no need for getting me into such fancy school," Emily huffed, "I could've finished my senior year anywhere."

"Anywhere isn't the right choice for you. No daughter of mine will have anything less than the best." George gruffly spoke switching off the ignition.
"Well for that you got to have a daughter first, because I am no daughter of yours Mr. Stephan." Emily blankly retorted, getting out of the car and slamming the door shut as the smile slipped off George's face as he followed her lead. "I already have a father which is why a wannabe one isn't really required."
"I've been meaning to say this for a long time now kid that your incessant rude behaviour is getting on my nerves lately. What did I even do to deserve your cold shoulder? I've done nothing but provided with the best and I expect nothing in return except that you show some respect instead of acting like an ungrateful brat" George scowled.
"I never asked you to do any of those things for me and you should try earning the respect that you're knocking at doors for." Emily rolled her eyes adjusting her bag on her shoulder as she started to walk away.

"There's a limit to bearing your bullshit attitude before my patience wears thin," George stormed towards Emily, harshly yanking her back by her upper arm before she could go any further into the crowded space as he stood in front of her, "You should be grateful that I welcomed you at my place and treated you as my own daughter but instead you've only proved to be insolent ingrate who doesn't deserve any of that."
"I don't want any of your charity thrown at my way," Emily gritted out, trying to break free from George's vice-like grip, "Now, if you could please leave my arm because you're hurting me."
"I haven't even done anything yet and you're already hurt?" George humorlessly chuckled, loosening his grip, "I suggest you fix your attitude while I'm being nice else I can do more than just hurt you."

George slowly stepped away from Emily with a pointed look in his eyes before he turned on his heels, walking briskly towards the car and driving past Emily in a matter of few minutes. It took Emily a couple of minutes to snap out of her daze as she kept staring at the driveway where her stepfather had just left her. She was slightly rattled as she looked at the imprint of the fingers that covered her upper arm, which throbbed with pain and was probably going to bruise later. It was a good thing she had carried her cropped cardigan along else she would probably had to go with those marks on her arm all day on her first day of senior year at this new school. She quickly shrugged on her beige cardigan over her powder pink halter top before adjusting the sling bag over her shoulder, hoping nobody witnessed the heated little clash between her and George. Running a shaky hand through her hair and inhaling a deep breath to calm her nerves, Emily walked towards the entrance of the school in hurried strides. Thankfully nobody seemed to have noticed the little incident as everyone seemed to be busy hurrying in for the first period.

As she entered the lobby of the school, she was surrounded by an ambiance of opulence and sophistication. The lobby which was decorated with detailed marble flooring, boasted high ceilings and walls were adorned with elaborate moldings that showcased intricate designs, providing a glimpse into the school's rich history. Expansive windows on both sides allowed ample natural light to fill the room, casting a radiant glow and offering stunning vistas of the meticulously maintained soccer and lacrosse fields surrounding the premises. As Emily walked further inside the lobby, it opened into a wide corridor that was lined with lockers crafted from polished mahogany. Each locker was distinguished by a brass nameplate, symbolizing the individualities of the students. The walls of the hallway were adorned with tasteful artwork and prominently displayed large framed photographs of the notable alumni and their achievements.

Scanning the photographs of the alumni, her eyes stopped at one. She could easily recognize those eyes because just a while ago they were directed towards her, full of anger and hate. George Alan Stephan, Emily read on the gold nameplate below the frame and rolled her eyes. Typical bloody showoff that man was, Emily thought, to send her to a school he was an alumnus of. Heaving a sigh, she continued on her way to find the principal's office. She was instructed by her mother to go straight to the Principal Jenkins as he was a friend of George's and would help her around the school and fill in with all the details. Trust George to never miss out on a chance to earn bonus points from her mother, Emily scoffed. He could fool anyone in the world, she thought, but will never be able to fool her. She knew she had been right about him from the start
that he isn't that gentleman he appears to be in front of everyone especially her mother. 

After the things she had seen in his house a couple nights before and the way he treated her today, Emily knew that she could never let her guard down with that man around. Emily was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice the person jogging in her direction, who also was quite distracted typing on the phone with one hand while balancing a cup of coffee in another.

"Nathan watch out!" Someone shouted from the locker area, just as Emily whipped towards the source of voice before looking in front of her to see hazel green orbs looking in her wide brown ones before the person bumped right into her failing to break his momentum. The hot coffee spilled right on the sleeve of Emily's cardigan and her hand as she hissed in pain along with struggling under the weight of the person who fell right on top of her.

"Shite."

_________________­____ .