Six ♔ The Boss

A day before Homecoming, East Silver was in elated spirits. The ball committee zipped down halls with royal blue and black streamers, leaving trails of silver glitter in their wake.

Most of the boys huddled in the computer room, arranging limo services and confirming RSVPs to the recipients of other academies.

Meanwhile, Sleeping Beauty tossed in her sleep, a satin mask over her closed eyes. About thirty minutes later, bored of staying in bed, she flipped on her side. The second she popped a mint in her mouth, a shadow loomed over her form.

"Well, well. If it isn't my beloved roommate." Rory cooed, not bothering to look Lydia Winchester in the eye.

"Good morning, Rory. Did you sleep well?"

Somewhere along her response, the sarcasm seemed to fizzle into nothing and Rory sat up, pulling off her mask. Lydia always gave off dark vibes. At least to Rory, her archenemy.

"What do you want, Lydia?" Rory moaned, sunlight shining in her eyes, turning her vision red.

"I saw you in the classroom with Noah."

Ah. Rory stretched and pulled her legs into a criss-cross style. This is what this is about.

"And what about it? Someone a bit green-eyed?" She taunted in glee.

Lydia remained apathetic. "Not really, just curious." She then proceeded to recline on her pink bed. "You've practically rejected half of the male demographic here. Except, Noah. And everyone knows he shines brighter than the rest."

Rory quickly grew tired of her banality. "Your point is?"

Lydia sat up straight and burned her blue eyes into her soul. "Don't you think you've fallen for his game?"

Rory's arrogance vanished. Unlike the sleepover, Lydia had not only penetrated her armor, her sword impaled her. How did she always know how Rory thought? What she wanted - how she got it?

"I'm just saying." Lydia relentlessly continued. "You fell for the handsomest boy. Isn't that a bit predictable? That's certainly not your style, is it? If anything, I thought the guys fell for you. If you're escorted to the ball tomorrow night with Noah, it'll look unlike the "Queen". Like he manipulated you. Made the first move, and all."

"You're sick, you know that?" Rory snapped, having enough of her trash. "It's not manipulation. Are you so sad and lonely that you misinterpret actual happiness as a scheme?"

"I don't know about that." Lydia's eyes flashed like lightning. "I've heard he likes to crush hearts like candy. He has a very specific taste in girls, apparently. Gets bored or stressed out easily. Don't you think you're a bit too hot for an ocean breeze like Noah, Rory? You may just dry him up."

Rory could only breathe. It was the only stimulant. She couldn't let her words infect her.

Lydia bent over and smiled wickedly. "Straighten up, Aurora. Your tiara is falling."

Rory had plans. To phone calls to the caterers with Aspen, help out with the committee Stephanie was managing and be of best use possible to make tomorrow a lovely evening.

But doubts and negativity seemed to circle around her like vultures. She took a chilling shower and splashed herself several times with ice water to reawaken her dead spirit. Rory tried to lose herself in the bubblegum plastic of reality television. Reflection was just about the worst attempt at clearing her mind.

Had she been fooled? No, but, Noah actually cared for her, right? That's why pulled her away from the drama. That's why he stood up for her. That's why he showed up at her door with a bottle of cider. That's why he kissed her.

Or was that just some long-term plan to string her into humiliation?

But that was just Lydia and her venomous words. Why should she listen to her? Oh, but she couldn't help it. In some twisted way, her words made cruel sense.

Since the past month, she had conquered, like she intended. Was this the fall of Aurora Valentine? All her preparations to be the best and dominate, take control at such an early stage in her life - had it all concluded to this?

One stain could tarnish a golden reputation. Rory had observed that in the long ride of her father's business. In that sense, Ezra Valentine was an ace driver and he rode swiftly around every obstacle in the track.

If her father never fell, how could she now?

Because of a guy? Because of Noah?

Running her hands through her locks frustratedly, she sat on her bed. Worrying. Wondering. Crumbling.

Aspen swung but the dorm, inquiring about Rory's sudden "illness". About two hours later and Stephanie and Liana barged through the doors, screaming happily about buying dresses and gowns. Rory reluctantly took a rain-check, insisting she just wasn't in the mood. In her defense, it was mostly true.

If she went with them, she'd be dull and aloof, never quite with them and sinking in her own black thoughts.

Finally, when the sky started to wash in powder reds and pinks, Rory stormed out of her dorm. She kept walking and walking until she saw him - Noah - platinum hair standing out from the huddle of students.

Noah was in the middle of discussing with a friend but just as Rory stopped in front of him, his buddy left.

He tried to keep his face neutral but he couldn't help but grin when feisty, precious Rory was smiling angelically in his face. Noah was hopelessly smitten.

"Hello." Rory cooed, her voice like a romantic lullaby.

"Hello, Aurora."

As if in sync, their arms wrapped around each other and the kissed in the fiery sunlight, despite the many gasps and stunned gazes.

Too soon, Rory broke away. But in her glassy eyes and dazed expression, Noah knew she desired exactly what he wanted. More.

"Break my heart and I'll break your skull." She whispered into his ear. Her voice, even sinister, was lovely. Sweeter than honey, smoother than glass.

"That sounds like a threat." Noah rallied, pulling her warm body against his and smiling against her lips.

"It's a promise."

The star-crossed couple in the middle of the crowd held on to each other. Allowing her eyes to dance somewhere rather than the sea of Noah's blue eyes, Rory scanned their audience for a not-so-thrilled face.

Finally, Rory spotted her - Lydia Winchester, a dark figure who burned with white-hot lividity. Lips pursed into a discontented line, Lydia thundered away, like a tempest. Defeated.

~ !! Last chapter comes out next week Friday, 10th June!! ~