Chapter 26

"You're going to do great! Just relax," I said, straightening Mute's tie and fixing his hair like a mother who's getting her son ready for a school dance.

He has a plan. A plan that I don't understand and probably will never truly understand. It's not like I'm pushing Mute to go through with this, because he's the one who suggested it. And so far, he's followed through. Well, besides the part where he made me suggest that we all go out to dinner so he could make his big announcement.

"Is this your first time speaking to them?" I asked, now adjusting his collar.

"Yeah. I don't know how they're going to react, that's what's currently scaring the living hell out of me."

I laughed and stepped down from a stool, standing back to examine Mute's appearance. I've never really seen him in a suit besides the time we crashed that wedding, but I was so aggravated that I wasn't paying attention to his outfit.

"Kids, come on!" Ruth yelled from the bottom of the steps.

We gave each other one last smile and shrug before beginning our 'no talking around other people' ritual. But tonight might be the last of that little rule.

*~*~*~*

"Table for seven please," Ruth asked at the counter while she carting six kids behind her.

She brought us to a somewhat fancy restaurant, one which is classy enough to where you need to dress nice, but still casual enough to where you don't need greet people a certain way or speak another language to order.

"Great, follow me," the waitress said while grabbing a stack of menus.

We sat at a long dining table, because the booths weren't big enough to fit all of us. The wooden chairs creaked as we sat down and the fluorescent lights sent a dim glow over our faces. I sat next to Mute to keep him company and give him support. He was rubbing his palms against his pants and breathing a bit heavy. I don't blame him though, this must be really hard to do.

After we ordered and gave in our menus, we sat in silence and communicated between a few coughs and sighs. I straightened out my dress and placed a napkin on my lap while Mute was tapping his finger on the table to keep himself calm. I slipped my arm over to him and grabbed his other hand under the table to remind him that I was there for him.

He looked at me and smiled, causing me to smile back at him. He nodded at me and mouthed the words 'I'm ready'. I grinned and rubbed his arm one last time before he stood up and faced our family, his palms pressed to the wooden dinning table.

I leaned my elbow on the table and placed my head in the palm of my hand so I would be able to get full view of his face while he spoke.

"I have an announcement," Mute said firmly, causing everyone at our table to look in disbelief. I kept my gaze stuck on him so he'd remember that I was there, so he wouldn't feel alone.

"Since I will be turning eighteen in about a week, I'm currently in the process of moving out and living on my own. I want to thank all of you for your support and allowing me to live with you, especially you Ruth."

Ruth smiled at him while the other kids watched in awe at his mouth moving and his hands engaging while he spoke. This isn't anything new to me, but to them, he's probably now a whole new person.

"So again, thank you. And I'll be sure to visit you all once I move out." He finished with a smile and nod before pulling his chair back in and sitting down.

I grabbed his hand once again under the table as he sat down, and traced a heart across his palm, just like he did to mine on the first night we met.