chapter 1

Once each year, as October breezes over, happens a most particular and a most peculiar night. An anxious to be night and the dark grows a little more so. A very solid night and nothing is quite as it was. A night called 'Halloween'. And here the story begins, deep in the big town of Megaville, at the home of a young girl named Cynthia Butler.

"What do you think of my costume, Sledge?" Cindy asked her pet possum as she wore a black suit with a red tie and had her hair tied back into a ponytail with her nails painted red and she held a black wand over her shoulder with white tips to look like a magician.

"Not bad, Cin," Sledgehammer smirked. "You almost look just like him, 'cept, you're a girl and you don't weigh a couple thousand pounds."

"Let's not exaggerate, shall we?" Cindy replied flatly as she took out a box of possum food and opened it, taking out a handful of pellets and fed them to her pet.

Sledgehammer smiled and ate the pellets happily and hungrily. "So, where are you going again?" he then asked her with his mouth full.

"Mystery Inc's invited some of us to Crane Manor for a Halloween party," Cindy explained. "I'm going with Mike, June, Dee Dee, and the Eds. Are you sure you don't wanna come?"

"Ah, I'll be fine here with your mom and dad giving candy to trick-or-treaters," Sledgehammer reassured. "Besides, if they try to take more than one, I'll scare 'em silly myself."

"You're gonna use that whipped cream again, aren't you?" Cindy groaned.

Sledgehammer sprayed the inside of his mouth with a huge can of whipped cream to make his mouth look foamy. "What, too much?" he then asked as he tried to appear to be a rabid possum.

Cindy sighed. "Whatever, Sledge."

Sledgehammer then looked out the window from his cage to see six figures coming up to the door. "I think your friends are here." he said, looking back to his owner.

"Oh, boy!" Cindy cheered. "Mom, I'm going out now!"

"Cindy, haven't you forgotten something?" Shelly asked as she came into her daughter's bedroom, dressed like a devil lady.

"Uh, I love you, have a good night, I'll call you when I'm on the way?" Cindy asked, scratching her head.

"No, not that, and I love you too," Shelly said as she then stepped aside to show Yakko dressed like a scientist, Wakko dressed like a cowboy, and Dot dressed like a princess. "You promised to take your brothers and sister with you."

"Aw, Mom, can't they stay here with you and Daddy?" Cindy groaned. "Or can't you take them trick-or-treating and Daddy will give out candy?"

"We will do no such thing," Shelly shook her head firmly. "After all, we've always taken you trick-or-treating when you were a little girl, now it's time for you to return the favor."

Cindy sighed. "Fine... They can come with me..." she then firmly looked to the Warners. "But you three better promise not to embarrass me."

"We promise!" Yakko, Wakko, and Dot replied.

The doorbell then rang.

"Oh, that must be your friends, I'll get it!" Shelly beamed and went downstairs.

"Oh, I'm so glad we're celebrating our first Halloween with our big sister!" Yakko jumped onto Cindy's back.

"Can we eat our candy before we get home?" Wakko asked as he hugged Cindy's legs.

"If I get scared, can I hold Mike's hand?" Dot jumped into Cindy's arms.

"Guys!" Cindy groaned in dismay.