Part 1

The cathedral's bells were ringing in the glory of sunrise. Beneath the steady flapping of Invincible's leathery wings, the sounds of the city were growing louder as its residents began the day. Heads looked up in alarm as the shadow of an undead flying horse swept over them.

          Had he any concern for his own safety, he would have entered Stormwind in a more discreet manner, but his recklessness was deadly. The patrolling guards down below, feeling more confused than threatened, lowered their crossbows uncertainly and watched the beast streak across the sky.

          Invincible's frozen hoofs clacked on the worn stone as he landed in front of Stormwind Keep. His rider swung off his back; with a whisper and a wave of his hand, the dark horse vanished. 

                                                                             ***

          The king on his throne, polishing his sword as he always did in the mornings, looked up at the approaching clanking sound of rusted plate armor. As he met his visitor's gaze, he remembered a small blonde boy staring up at him with big, wondrous blue eyes. His tainted, shadowed mind rushed to warp these rekindled childhood memories.

                                                                            ***

          "My king." His deep, mechanical voice sounded rusted with misuse as he knelt.

          "Arthas... Arthas..." The king seemed to be fighting a battle only he could see. His expression rapidly changed from joy to fear to rage. "My friend... enemy... you... TRAITOR!"

          Arthas stood. He'd expected his arrival to be met with anger, but he had never known his friend to be so perturbed. His eyes were dark and suspicious, his face pale and sunken.

          "Varian. I have come to redeem my profane transgressions. What I have done can never be forgiven, but I remember who I once was. I want to be Arthas again, and serve the Alliance and Lordaeron as I once did."

          He had recited this speech ever since he rose from the grave, but his words seemed lost on his old friend. He was altogether unprepared when the king drew his sword.