Chapter 13: Grumpy old grandma

"Sykes is such a grumpy old grandma that wears floral print undies and bosses people about," Ellesa was not so quietly whispering to most of the crew. I let the crew roar with laughter, then I interrupted their conversation rudely by speaking up.

"And I suppose that grumpy old grandma is standing here listening to your conversation!"
The crew instantly stopped laughing and Ellesa flinched and her head sunk between her shoulders. She looked like she wanted to shrink into a shrivelled husk, but she turned around like a rusty robot.

"H-h-hi g-g-grandm-ma?" She let out a nervous chuckle. "Sorry...." she added, seeing I was not at all amused, and I was glaring at her with laser beam eyes.

I sighed loudly. "Go clean the deck."

She opened her mouth to protest, but I cut her off.
"Just do it. Think Nike."I added. A little attempt at humor to brighten up your day. Funny? No. Ok. Sorry.

"If you're here..... Who's managing the ship?" Ravena looked at me questioningly.

"Oh, Fred is." I replied simply. I wasn't a happy camper after hearing Ellesa teasing me in front of the crew.

Ravena blinked at me disbelief sparkling in her eyes. "Fred? Are you sure Sykes?"

"Yes I'm sure. Why?"

"Ummm......."

At that moment a loud crash sounded from the direction of the control room.

"That's why." Ravena muttered.

"Oh no! I knew I shouldn't have let him drive. You guys were talking and laughing so loud I had to check it out. Uhhh, why can't Ellesa just do something useful for one moment of any day?! She always has to do exactly what she's told not to do!"

Another day in The Arrow.