Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12

A short, perhaps brilliant, thoroughly well-learned air or movement by some good master, is the best response to the often put out question, “Will you play something?” The loud, thumping style should be avoided: if possible, the piece should not be quite common and hackneyed; not what “everyone plays”.

~ The Habits of Good Society: A Handbook for Ladies and Gentlemen (The Last London Editor; 1860)

Day 4 of the Hawthorne Bride Quest

Afternoon: Acceptance of callers and visitors

Night of the recital

(Most notable) in attendance: Lord Henry Sinclair, Lady Delores Colton, Lord Gabriel Sinclair, Miss Victoria Colton, Mr Harold Blake, Miss Danielle Carmichael, Mr Oliver Townsend, Miss Oriana Brightmore, Mr Audrey Lynden, Mrs Desdemona Fitzgerald, Mr Philip Chadswick, Miss Imogen Brightmore

Somebody, Gabriel thought, was mauling the piano in the music room.

He paused and listened for a moment to the violent thrashing of the keys that were plunked with little or no coordination at all. It sounded like a rendition of the first movement of Beethoven’s Pathétique but due to the utter lack of skill with which the musician was abusing his or her instrument, Gabriel couldn’t be sure.

Glancing briefly at his pocket watch, he realised that he was already running late for his meeting with Oriana in one of the parlour rooms. He was supposed to offer for her but he decided it could wait and he moved towards the atrocious sound. It might be one of the girls practising for their recital that evening and Gabriel thought that maybe he could warn her off playing an intricate piano sonata. It would be for the benefit for all the other guests present.

When he entered the music room, it was not a dainty little miss he found, but none other than Victoria, turned away from him slightly and oblivious to his presence with her. Gabriel was surprised to find her practising, badly, for the recital because he had never thought of Victoria as somewhat caring of what other people would think of her poor performance. But this display, this visible proof that she had deemed it fit to hone her skill somehow, proved just that. She did care. She cared a great deal more than she had ever let on that she was self-conscious about her poor musical talent.

Although her ability was atrocious, she presented a lovely feminine image as her neck tilted towards her music sheet and she studied her fingers moving clumsily across the ivory keys. After striking three correct notes, her middle finger slipped on an incorrect one and she groaned audibly with frustration and dropped her head against the polished wood of the piano, her fingers thumping the keys for good measure.

Gabriel smothered a smile.

She only became aware of her audience when he moved towards her and sat himself down beside her on the bench.

“I am still furious with you,” she snapped, annoyed, as she glared at him.

“I know.” It had been clear as day during breakfast that Victoria had not forgiven him his transgressions yesterday as she had thrown him blistering glowers from the other end that could have turned stones to ash. He supposed he was being a little unfair but really, her relentless obsession with Africa and besmirching the Hawthorne and Colton names was unacceptable. On top of that, she clearly had no intention of choosing a husband by the end of the three weeks. So Gabriel saw it fit to take matters into his own hands. Victoria Colton was quite delicious in his arms and he wouldn’t mind teaching her another lesson or two… or three. Whatever her feelings for him now, she was quite malleable when she was kissed senseless. Not to mention sensually responsive and wonderful. Even now, his body was hardening in response to her nearness.