Chapter Twenty-Nine

~Before I started writing this, I decided to get some male insight on the situation. I asked JP this morning what he would have done were he in Gabriel's situation and after explaining vaguely the whole plot behind the story, the conversation went like this:

JP: "She left me. I would have told her to go to hell."

Me: "Uh...  I was kinda hoping you could give me an idea of a grand romantic make-up moment."

JP: *shrugs* "Let her have his bastard child."

Me:"Grand Romantic Gesture...?"

JP: *rolls eyes* "Fine. Let him lie naked on her bed and she can discover him like that."

Me: "Really?" -.-

JP: "He can touch her soft inner thigh."

Me: "Just what kind of novel do you think I am writing here?"  (LOL sorry, had to share. Needless to say, I am not drawing artistic insight from the males around me...)

Chapter 29

France is the most unchanging in the world in her habits and domestic institutions, and foremost among these is her “Marriage de convenance,” or “Marriage de raison.”

~ The Habits of Good Society: A Handbook for Ladies and Gentlemen (The Last London Editor; 1860)

As Étienne Girard proclaimed his love for her from one knee in the quaint Parisian garden, Vicky contemplated the merits of running away. She had heard that Spain was lovely this time of year. Maybe Delores had cousins she could stay with there as well.

And maybe they too had an older son who could fall in love with her and propose, rendering her with yet another inescapably awkward situation once again.

Ugh.

“Victoria?” Étienne pressed, a curious frown wrinkling his handsome brow.

She sighed. If she were a better person, she would say yes to him because it was becoming increasingly apparent that Gabriel was not interested in her anymore. One would think that after a month, a gentleman would come to his senses and summon her back to England. But no. Not even a note had been issued her way. It would be perfectly understandable if she did assent to Étienne’s romantic proposal. Maybe after some time she could learn to love him.

The golden ring caught the sunlight and sparkled, attracting her eye again. It matched the bracelet he’d given her for her birthday. The diamond had been cut into the shape of a little heart, glimmering, enchantingly secured on its black cushion within the box.

Oh, she couldn’t bare the possibility of hurting Étienne. It wasn’t fair and she knew that she would only make matters worse if she were to say yes because truthfully she did not know whether she could actually participate in an actual ceremony binding her to the man if she were to concur. Besides, she did not love him. She admired him, yes, and was very fond of him. There was none of the intensity she had shared with Gabriel, however; none of the wild and insistent longing that would surely kill her if she didn’t have him. Still, it flickered urgently within her bosom and was followed promptly by a dull ache of rejection.

Shaking out of her reflections, she contemplated the man before her with a sad expression. Her lips parted in response and then she hesitated, again. This was possibly one of the hardest things she had ever had to do, second to humbling herself in front of the entire ton for Gabriel.

“Étienne,” she croaked, then cleared her throat.

His face darkened at the solemnity in her voice. An accepting bride-to-be would definitely not sound anguished on the day of her proposal. “You are still in love with Gabriel,” he remarked flatly. Not a question, but a statement as if he didn’t expect her to deny it. She didn’t and sadly inclined her chin to confirm it. “And you are sure you wish to forego a chance that I could make you happy?” Slowly, Étienne closed the lid of the box and pocketed it before rising to his feet. The hurt in his eyes was enough to inflict Vicky with a monumental wave of guilt.