Chapter 8 - Overprotective

They heard the arguing before they even were all the way up the stairs to Judy's floor.

"I see Bucky and Pronk are home," Judy said with a sigh.

Nick listened as the exited the stairwell, not able to pick out exactly what was being said... or yelled... but it certainly was spirited.

"And this goes on all the time?" Nick asked, taking his sunglasses off and hooking them into his shirt collar again.

"Constantly," Judy said, enunciating the word slowly. As they drew closer, the words became more distinct.

"No it's not! It's your turn!"

"I made dinner last night, it's your turn!"

"No you didn't, I did! It's your turn!"

"No it's not!"

"Wow..." Nick said as the argument continued.

"I told you," Judy said, resigned, as they reached her door. She fished her keys from the single pocket of her leggings and unlocked the door.

They entered and when the door shut the argument on the other side of the wall suddenly stopped, quiet whispering heard instead before a voice called out.

"Hey Rabbit! We saw you kissing that fox on the net! Did you guys bang it out?" called the voice.

Judy let out a groan, her ears falling, and put a paw to her forehead. She was just about to answer but Nick beat her to it.

"Yes! Yes we did! Thank you for asking!" he said, his normal smug voice back in full form.

There was silence again then the other voice spoke, "Is that the fox?" it asked.

Judy didn't even try to intervene.

"It is indeed!" Nick called back.

"How does that even work?" one of the voices said, "You're twice her size!"

Judy just held her paws up, palm out with an 'I can't even' expression.

Nick grinned and rocked on his feet, stuffing his paws back into his pockets, he was enjoying this way too much.

"Well, flesh is freakishly elastic if you take your time!" Nick said.

Judy made a disgusted noise and picked up her suitcase on the floor at the foot of her bed while Nick tried his hardest to not burst out laughing. There was quieter whispering, then footsteps.

"Aaannnd here they come," Judy said as she set the suitcase on her bed, flipping the latches.

There was the sound of a door opening and then more footsteps up to Judy's door followed by a loud knock.

Nick took the liberty and opened the door.

The two tall, lanky herbivores stood there, each with an open beer in their hand, peering down at Nick as Judy stepped up beside him.

"You're wet," the kudu on the right with spiraling horns said flatly.

"That is very observant of you," Nick said with a smile, "You must be Bucky and Pronk, I have heard so much about you!"

"I'm Bucky," the kudu said.

"I'm Pronk," said the oryx on the left with horns arching straight back.

"A pleasure to meet you," Nick said, "Nick Wilde at your service."

"Hi Bucky, hi Pronk," Judy said, looking up to the two with a patient smile, "Having the ole 'who is fixing dinner' argument again?"