The Present to the Past

Hello historians!!! :D 

Welcome to the wacky, crazy world of history for another week! ^_^

Last weeks column was horrible, for that; I am sorry, so this week (hopefully) this will be better!

But first! Did anyone notice that the Wattpad App now has BOLD AND Italics! I am so happy xD 

Onto more serious matters, as I have rambled on before, History is what defines a person. We all have a background; rich or poor, we all have a past, some better than others. Our past is what makes us who we are today. The past is our way of either moving forward, as we don't want to repeat the mistakes we have made or for some they want to figure out their background to find Who they were

NOW for those who wish to forget certain aspects of their history, I can understand in particular situations e.g caught up in crime, sent to prison, they regret it etc. but there is no point in avoiding the fact that what has happened in the past has helped them move forwards and look into the future with a bright and positive attitude! Hopefully. (Though this maybe isn't the case for most but yah xD)

For instance, those who recently recieved their exam results, a daunting, scary time, and didn't get the results they wanted in the first sitting will be determined to get a higher grade next time. Here in Scotland, the education system is slightly different, I sat what we call here Intermediate Two's, the highest level I could do for my year (Which was when I was in fourth year of High School, I'm not sure what that means to those of you who live in America etc. xD) Now that I'm in fifth year I'm sitting my Scottish Highers and I'm determined to do better! :D By looking at my past, I'm determined to do better in the future (even though i did get good results :D) SO what I'm trying to say is we try to better our history, we want to do well in the future. To do this we must live through the present! 

I no longer make sense so I think it's time for the random history facts! You better be excited! :D

This week they are based on............

GREECE!!! (I'm not sure if I've already done facts on Greece or not....oh well..I love the ability to use bold and italics on my ipod. it's  so awesome...it may be a while before the novelty wears off xD)

1. Ancient Greece is considered to be the cradle of Western civilisation, the birthplace of western philosophy, literature, scientific and mathematical principles and democracy. 

2. Athens is one of the oldest cities in the world with a recorded history that dates back 3,400 years!

3.The Greek War of Independence began in 1821 and concluded in 1830 when England, France and Russia forced the OttomanEmpire to grant Greece its independence under a European monarch, Prince Otto of Bavaria.

4. Greece's exemplary success in hosting a safe and secure 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens has enhanced its international prestige. The 2004 Olympics and Paralympics left an impressive and expensive legacy of new roads, spectacular stadiums, and modern public transportation systems begun under the PASOK government in 1997 and completed by the New Democracy government of Karamanlis in 2004. 

So there we have it for another week! Hope you enjoyed it! Feel free to comment xD 

BYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEE :P

~Rachel