Chapter 6: Time to Set Things Right

Emily's Point of View:

Why did I push him away? Why do you always do that, Emily? You always end up crying in the end, why do you think it'll make things better?

I don't think I've ever been so indecisive. Actually, maybe I'm not anymore. Maybe I know exactly what I want, but I just haven't put the whole thing together yet. God! This whole thing is just a giant, five thousand piece puzzle. And I unfortunately only have about twelve put together. I sighed.

"It's time to make things right," I said to myself while looking out my bedroom window, thunder rumbling signalling it was about to rain. I grabbed my brown trench coat and left the room.

"I'll be back in a few minutes, Abby" I said.

"Where are you going?" She asked. I looked at her before exiting.

"I just have some things to do. Errands to run, you know. I won't be long, okay?" I said.

"Okay. Just be quick, it's about to storm I think," she said. I nodded and left the house and started my red Fiat car. I started driving.

Okay, where would I find Eli right now? My dad is at work, so Eli must be too. I'd have to call the office and ask for him. I pulled out my phone and dialled the visitor's number so my dad wouldn't find out.

"Sevrak Records, my name is Lisa how may I help you?" The receptionist asked.

"Um...this is...Jane Dawson. Could I speak to Eli Macreadie please?" I lied. It's only practical to go under a pseudonym.

"Do you have an appointment?" She asked. Shit, didn't think that one through...

"No. I'm his...cousin. Family matters need to be made aware to him," I lied as convincingly as possible.

"Oh I see. My apologies Ms. Dawson. I will connect you to him right away," she said.

"Thank you, Lisa," I said. I waited a few seconds before I heard that voice that made me melt.

"This is Eli Macreadie and I don't have a cousin named Jane Dawson, Emily," he said. My eyes widened.

"How'd you know it was me?" I asked. He chuckled.

"I had a feeling. Is there something you need?" He asked.

"Yes, meet me in the parking lot right now. I need to talk to you," I said.

"It's pouring rain, Emily. Why don't you just come inside?" He asked.

"Because I don't want my dad seeing me. Can you please just come down here?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'll be there in a second," he said. I hung up the phone and brought it down from my ear. It's time, Emily: time to grow up.

I got out of the car, not bothering with the rain. I really don't care at the moment. All I really care about is having closure with this man that at the same time I hate and...love.

There he appeared from that office doorway. He looked at me, perplexed. Both of us said absolutely nothing. He walked slowly toward me, the rain quickly hitting his black hair. The rain made his unshaven stubble look less noticeable than usual.

"I'm sorry I left before. I just didn't know what to do. But I want you to tell me what you want me to do. Please tell me because I can't do this without you!" I said. He didn't answer right away.

"Emily, I need to tell you something. I would do anything for you. I'd walk these ends of the world for you. I would kill a man if it meant you would be happy. So when you say you want me to tell you what I want, well, there is only one thing," he said. I swear, my heart must have melted.