V

"And then there were two." Connor waggled his eyebrows as he climbed inside my car, now that the twins had been dropped off, a playful grin slapped across his face.

"I take it I'm driving you to school too, then?" I guessed, being met with an enthusiastic nod.

"If you're free?" Connor beamed, "I have a free period first thing, so I won't be late or anything."

"Thanks for settling my mind, I was really worried." I muttered sarcastically, switching on the engine.

Connor rolled his eyes at my sarcasm, but his smile didn't fall. It's strange how my mood doesn't effect his positivity. He reminded me greatly of a Labrador dog. Even the blonde streaked pieces in his hair reminded me of one.

"Did some tight-faced woman invite you to her kid's birthday party, too?" Connor pulled me out of my thoughts, waving the same blue-coloured envelope around.

"Jimmy Wellot's mother." I nodded, shivering at the thought of that cursed-woman. 

"I'm guessing we hate her?"

"We? You don't have to hate anything. You haven't even met her properly."

"I can tell you hate her, so I hate her, too." Connor declared, "I've already told those pricks in school to get lost for talking about you." 

"I told you you didn't have to do that." I sighed, my heart feeling torn.

"Obviously I do." Connor laughed as if it was obviously the only solution, "Why would I want to be friends with people who bully somebody else for a medical condition, especially when they haven't even given him a chance." 

I understood where he was coming from, but I still found it near impossible to believe that somebody would defend me like that, knowing the repercussions of doing so. Andy and Angel had a tie to me, and felt like they had to, but Connor didn't even know me very well. Living like me was incredibly isolating and I felt a heavy feeling settle in my stomach at the thought of Connor feeling the same loneliness. He's such a bubbly and positive person that he seemed untouched by the horrors of life at times. I hadn't known him long, but anyone could sense the bubbliness rolling off of Connor at any given time.

"You must be a social outcast now, then." I grumbled, thinking about how cruel the teens in that school are.

"Who cares? There's not long until school's over, anyway." Connor hummed, "I moved right at the end of the school year, so I wasn't even going to try with friends. Turns out they all suck, anyway."

"You sound like Andy." I chuckled, pulling into a carpark.

"Where are we? Do you not know the way to the sixth form?" Connor frowned, glancing around.

"I do, but I thought we could get breakfast first. Judging from the way you devoured that breakfast bar, you've got room for food." 

"You're handsome, observative, and you surprise me with food?" Connor pretended to fan himself, "Take me now!"

"Shut up." I muttered, a light red dusting my cheeks as I switched off the engine.

If he had abandoned any chance of making friends in this town because of me, then I was going to try my darndest to make it worth his while. I don't think I had ever met anybody as genuine as Connor that wasn't part of my immediate family, so maybe having a friend my own age could do me some good too. 

"Oh, look, they're hiring." Connor noticed, "They're looking for Sunday staff. Maybe we should get a job here flipping burgers; we could work together."