Chapter 1

I stared up at the house with hidden disdain. My lip curled in unbridled anger. It had been too long since the wolves and fox clans had met and for good reason. They didn't amass their fortune the way we did, through hard work and community. No, they were sly and conniving. Managed to get their way, shady dealings be damned. As leader of the areas shifter community, it was part of the job description to make deals with surrounding communities to keep the peace. 

"Ah, look what the cat dragged in." A tall lithe man said approaching from the front door. He had to be in his late forties. His appearance gave off a wealthy vibe with his starched white shirts and pressed khakis. His temples were greying a bit and but his skin was without imperfection. Just as any shifter  presents.

My tone was gruff but that couldn't and wouldn't be helped. "Mr. Fennec, I believe we have some things to discuss." I glance around, using my sense to detect other shifters nearby. I pin him with a look. "Alone."

The older man just regarded me with a sly smile and tipped his head towards the house. As I approached him, I caught the scent of something incredibly irritable. What the fuck is up? First the shady ass disappearances and now the scent of death hung in the air. The smell of a rotting corpse. "What the fuck is going on?" I barked at the frail man. He looked weak but most shifters could hold their own despite appearances. But I was no fox and he was no wolf. I would end the man if it came down to it.

"Oh, that..." He waved his hand around as if the scent would just go away. "That would be the dinner the children caught." He looked behind him as if expecting a child to come up behind him.

"We've had reports of missing shifters lately, too many to be a coincidence." 

He stares at me for a moment, his blue eyes glacier solid. "I've noticed an increase in your border patrol as of late. Are you insinuating something Castiel?"

I bristle at the way he says my name. Calling him out on his land would be the quickest way to start an all out war. Being leader makes it my responsibility to keep that from happening, always. My next words are chosen carefully and I have to hide the utter disgust I feel for the man behind bared teeth.

"No. Just thought maybe you heard something or saw something suspicious." Fox outnumber us four to one. Where we have them beat in brute strength, they have us in numbers. 

A creak in the wooded area behind me makes us both turn to evaluate the newcomer, but without having to see them completely I know it's my brother. He's silent but the message is clear, we're on to them.

"You boys go on home and have a nice evening now. We'll be sure to pass along a message if we hear something. " He grins again and walks back into his house. The sound of his dress shoes clicking further into his fortress.

Fuck! All the evidence led me right here and there wasn't a stick out of place to prove anything. I rack my hands through my hair as I step deeper into the foliage with my brother. Although a year younger, Alistair could be my twin. We both had black hair, mine cut shorter from my recent time in the military. Grey eyes that we get from our mother and a stature of 6ft5. But while I got my muscles from grunt work in the Army, he got his from staying home and taking care of the family. More like stalking a certain shifter.

"He was never going to give himself up that easy, you know that." he grates out. Talking was never his strong suit. Or socializing. 

I stop walking, realizing we've made it half way home. Almost at our borders, I must have been lost in thought. Maybe being away so long hadn't helped much in my leadership skills. I don't know how to handle this without it getting messy. I'm good at messy. I've killed and got blood on my hands everyday and didn't give two shits. Now I'm trying to play civil diplomatic to kidnappers. "Leave me alone." I grunt. I needed a moment to get my head right. 

He stood there for a second, probably trying to see if I had enough stupidity to march back and take the whole den on by myself. After assuring himself that I wasn't that stupid, he left. Without further thought I began shifting. For most it's as easy as breathing, for me it takes probably half a minute longer. The bigger the animal, the longer the transformation. Risky if you're up against a den full of quick shifting enemies. 

Once fully shifted, I shake out my dark coat. Standing at nearly 7 feet, I knew I was a big scary fucker. I liked the wide berth I got when I was in my wolf form. Most didn't fuck with me or the pack out of pure intimidation, which is why this whole Houdini act is surprising. Tall trees surround me so a run is out of the question. I do a light jog around the outskirts of the perimeter. The light was fading and the moon began to peek behind the clouds. I let loose a loud howl, letting everything in the area know to steer clear. 

Soon I just collapsed in an irritated heap. What was the best course now? Suddenly a small bundle of orange fur slid down the tree and landed right in front of me. I jumped up in surprise, the ball curled into itself and started shaking. Blue eyes peeked at me from behind a tail. I turned my head in confusion and the eyes were once again hidden by the tail. What was a small fox pup doing way out here?