Chapter Four

Chapter 4:

I awoke in a warm soft bed. The events of last night come flooding back into my mind with full force, causing me to jump out of bed and run straight to the crib and pick up little Eloise out of the crib.

"Woah no need to be so crazy if you are going to be like this every single morning I'm going to have to invest in some good ear plugs because you do not want to deal with tired Will," Will mumbles as he looks at me like I've just committed the worlds biggest crime.

"I just had to make sure she was okay and breathing I mean we aren't really trained in the parent department," I reply putting Eloise back into her crib carefully, deciding that it is way too early for me to be awake at this time.

But just as I hopped back under the covers, Eloise let out a ear splitting scream, making Will flinch under the covers. Who knew he could be more of a baby than the baby herself. I being the adult in this whole agreement, get out of the warm bed and pick up Eloise and place her in between me and Will in our queen bed.

"If you hurt her, I may just have to kill you in your sleep," I warn Will as he comes out from under the blankets, only to be greeted with an unsettled Eloise.

"Why wouldn't you take her downstairs and tend to her? I was planning on sleeping in until at least 8am but wait it's only 5am," Will sighs but he cant help but try calm Eloise by rubbing her stomach to let her know that we are here. Ever since her parents have been gone she likes to be in someones arms usually mine all the time. It's like she is trying to protect us from leaving her too.

"Sorry but there is other people here too that would love to have a sleep in too rather than just you Mr whinge-a-lot," I reply, snuggling into the little girl whose eyes were becoming more droopy by the second the more Will lulled her.

"Are babies usually this dependant on people? I always thought that people said they were born ready to face the world and anything that gets in their way," Will questions. He seems genuinely confused which made me wonder if he ever had held a baby before Eloise.

"Babies are so vulnerable. They cant feed themselves, they cant tend to their hygiene and they sure as hell cant go with no love. Eloise just lost the two people who she trusted the most, the people she relied on to live. It's not as easy as 'cling to Will and Harper because they are my new parents' she has to learn to trust us. Which makes it so much harder that I don't even smell like Claire. Babies know their mothers scent and," I stop before I can break out into a sob in front of Will and take in a big deep breathe before I can get my words out. "and she's never going to smell Claire's scent again. She has every right to be lost, upset and a grumpy baby. She's lost and we have to help her be found," I croak out. I can't cry in front of Will. I won't let myself do something as stupid as that.

Deciding it would be best to step out for a bit, I slip out of the bed and go to pick up a sleeping Eloise to take downstairs and leave the monster Will to get his way as per usual. Maybe taking a walk around the neighbour hood would help to get to know what is surrounding the new house that she was living in.

"Harper she can stay here with me its fine, she's sleeping peacefully right now and we wouldn't want to wake her again and hear that painful scream," Will mumbles as if he is still half asleep.

"Will for one how am I meant to trust you hear alone with her, and not only that you look like you are going to fall asleep again and what happens if you squish her or she falls out of bed or-" I started but was cut off.

"You're not the only one that has taken care of her alone before, I looked after her a few times when Jase and Claire had events to attend at last minute and you were out working. And if it makes you feel better I'll get up and do something but please Harper if you want to go out then you can, you don't have to trap yourself in this house forever worrying about Eloise, she's healthy and right now she's happy and in capable hands," Will finishes and looks at me with a look that tells me I shouldn't argue.