Chapter 2|Are you sure you're qualified?

Welcome to the second chapter!

• • •

"What do you mean people did that to you?" He asks, confusion clouding his features.

"Exactly what it sounds like, people did this to me."

"I don't follow."

"I take it you haven't been in town for a while."

"Not since a couple of weeks after this thing started."

"You have a lot of catching up to do."

"Then start explaining."

"Can you untie me first? I promise I won't turn into a killer and steal your eyeballs."

He studies me for a moment, as if whether I'm going to explode or not if he unties me.

He slowly bends down and I hear the flick of his switchblade. Suddenly my right foot is free. I rotate my ankle and stretch out my leg, which started cramping a while ago.

"You're just gonna let her go?" Somebody asks in disbelief.

Yeah, I was about to ask the same question.

"Untying and letting go are two different things. If she makes a run for it I'm sure someone will have good enough aim to at least slow her down. Anyways, I doubt she'll try anything, she's outnumbered and has no weapons."

He gives me a pointed look and I just roll my eyes.

The rope from around my waist suddenly slackens and I am vaguely aware that the slash on my stomach has stopped gushing blood and is now quite stuck to my shirt. My hands are released and I wiggle my fingers to get the blood flowing to my extremities. I fully push the loosed rope off me and onto the floor. I then slowly peel my shirt away from my skin, wincing as I do so. It's not a pretty sight.

"Questions can wait till tomorrow, having you die right now wouldn't be very convenient." Noah decides with a glance to my abdomen.

"Oh, how considerate of you."

He glares at me, bringing his face dangerously close to mine. "Look, if you haven't noticed, they don't trust you," he whispers, "And they want to shoot you. I'm saving your ass, you should be grateful."

"I would be grateful if someone would find me a needle and some thread," I say in response, which earns me a shake of his head and an eye roll. "Oh, and alcohol, preferably vodka."

"Anything else your highness?" He asks sarcastically.

"A clean shirt," I say, examining the one that is currently covering the top half of my body. It's original shade of blue is now a muddy brown with several holes and now a giant slash across the front. Not to mention the blood.

"Fine, I'll be back in five," he says, speed walking out of the dining room, only to stop and grab one of the guys by his shirt. "If you touch her, I'll hurt you. Got it?"

The guy nods, a smirk evident as Noah shoves him back and strides out of the room. As soon as Noah is out of sight, the guy starts to approach me. The closer he gets, the sleazier he gets.

He licks his lips. "Buddy boy said I couldn't touch, but that doesn't mean I can't look, right?" He asks, his eyes flitting over my body appreciatively.

Oh, so when Noah said not to touch me, he meant...that's disgusting.

I don't know what he would find that attractive about me anyway. And no, I'm not one of those girls who have incredibly low self esteem, actually I would say I'm alright looking, a little on the short side, but still not half bad. Right at this very moment though, not so much. For starters, when was the last time I showered? I can't remember, which probably means a really long time ago. My skin colour has also changed from pasty white to brown. That might be dirt though. And my hair, don't even get me started. I'm pretty sure that it has dreadlocked itself.