2 - Officially Undead

Dad's been officially undead for over twenty-four hours, and the stench is starting to strengthen. Even with our masks on, his smell tickles our noses. We fight through it, but a sliver of panic starts to nag at me. It's too late, it says. But, no. There has to be something to be done. Some way to bring him back. He wasn't bit or anything, it was just the sickness. They might find a cure for his kind.

He's still sitting in the chair we left him in last night. His arms are secured behind his back with his handcuffs and his ankles are duct taped to the legs of the chair. We're lucky dad was one of the smaller men on the police force, otherwise his binds would never hold him.

     "Hi, dad," says Salem.

Dad snarls in response, gnashing his teeth. Spit drips from his mouth and down the front of his white tank top. His face looks gaunt and grey, but it's still the face of my dad. My hero.

Mom seems to be sleeping, so I go over to dad first. "I brought you some soup," I say softly.

I set the tray on the dresser beside him and get a spoonful of soup. His mouth is open already, so I pour the warm soup inside. He shakes his head and spits it back out everywhere.

"You have to eat, dad," I say. I try again, and receive the same results. He's been doing this since last night.

"Janis, it's kind of gross, but...I think he needs something more....raw," Salem says.

     I set the bowl back on the tray and think about his suggestion. "We have steak in the freezer," I say. "Should we try that?"

     "That's cow...I was thinking maybe we should try pork...I hear pig flesh is closest to human flesh."

     I scrunched up my face. "That's gross."

     "What choice do we have?" he asked, frustrated.

     I'm wracking my brain for an alternative when mom starts a coughing fit. I rush to her side and wipe the blood she's coughed up from her pale lips. She can't talk. She can mumble, but I don't understand it. She lifts her feeble hand and points at dad, mumbling away. I think she realizes what's happened to him and she seems concerned.

"Shh momma, it's okay. It's going to be okay," I say, fighting back tears.

Salem sees me struggling and comes to mom's other side. "He's just sick, like you, mom. But they'll find a cure, don't you worry," he says.

Her eyes are wider than I've ever seen. I can see the whites all around them, and next to the pale blue that her irises have become, the effect is terrifying. I take her pointing hand and fix it in her lap underneath the blankets. She doesn't fight me. She lets me feed her and change her out of her sweaty clothes while Sal changes her sweaty bedsheets.

I even help her to the toilet, only nothing comes out. I don't really know how she can eat anything without having to go, but I can't consult a doctor about it. By the time all that is done, mom is so wore out, she falls asleep as soon as I get her back on the bed.

I got so used to dad's gurgles and snarls that they just fade into the background. If it weren't dad, I suppose I'd be scared. But he wouldn't really hurt me. Not dad. I know he's sick, but he's still my father.

Outside in the hall, Salem voices concerns. "We need to take him out of there before he hurts her."

"Dad would never hurt mom," I say, completely in denial. Our father was a very caring, gentle man. He was tough with criminals, but when it came to family, he was a softie. Family mattered a tremendous deal to him.

"Dad isn't himself right now. He's a dead one, Janice." Salem's hazel eyes are narrowed at me.

     Clearly this is important to him, I realize. I choose my battles wisely, so I let him have this one.

"Where will we put him?" I say, giving in.

Salem thinks a moment. "I'll secure a place in the basement. I'll go after school and get the things I need."

"Okay."

"Don't check on them when you get home. You hear?" Salem says and I roll my eyes. He gets a little angry. "It's not safe. Wait for me, alright?"

"Okay, okay," I say with my hands up in surrender. I do the scouts honor sign.