Chapter Nine- Ashitaka

They approached the herd of boars running through the forest. Each boar was embellished with mud in swirls and lines upon their fur coats, a tradition of war. The wolves made their way through the herd, nearing the front she said, "The Moro tribe has come to fight with you. Where can I find Lord Okkoto?"

"In lead." The boar squealed and San replied, "Good luck, my friend." The wolves continued to run with the boars, nimbly making their way through the herd and to the front of the pack where they found Lord Okkoto.

"My Lord Okkoto, the Moro tribe has come to fight with you. May I be your eyes? The humans are planning something." San addressed the blind boar.

"You have my thanks. Stay by my side and be my eyes, young one. For we go forth to battle to save the forest!" Okkoto shouted, rallying his tribe as the smaller boars squealed in battle fervor. Then the sky darkened suddenly, storm clouds filled the sky, and a heavy rain fell over the land.

San stayed upon Ichi's back as they ran beside Lord Okkoto. The mighty boar led his tribe out of the forest at a full charge toward the gathered humans. In a battalion of three, San, Ichi, Ni, and Lord Okkoto led the middle herd. While the others ran on either side, covering all sides and cornering the humans in the area that they had set on as their battlefront. Some of the faces San vaguely registered as humans she had seen before, driving oxen on the mountain trail with the damn gunwoman.

As the boars collided with the first line of humans that were men from Iron Town, a massive explosion of fire and light erupted from the ground. "AH!" San yelled, unwavering in determination as she, Ichi, and Lord Okkoto ran through the large flames.

Boars all around charged where they could. Taking out the humans with guns that had tried to remain safe on higher ground. She jumped off Ichi just as another round of great fire and light erupted. Causing San to suffer temporary blindness as she had to cast her eyes away from the explosion. The sound of gunfire and arrows reached her ears. 'I must find Lord Okkoto.' She thought in haste.

When her vision returned she found him, "Lord Okkoto..." she gasped, he was covered in blood on his underbelly, his pelt had many bleeding gashes, and two spear heads sticking out of his ribs.

All around her a dark smoke began to rise as the rain came to a stop. Her face wrinkled in disgust as the scent of burning animal flesh filled her nose. All around boars lay dead. Any who had not been killed by the explosions had bullet holes and spears that pierced there sides. Her wolf brother Ichi was nowhere to be found.

"My Lord Okkoto, we must retreat and go to the pool of the Forest Spirit." She said, reaching out to grab hold of his tusk and pull on it to lead him away from the remaining destruction and devastation. Ni padded up to her, covered in patches of blood, but walked normal and presumed to be unharmed. "Where's Ichi?" San asked and her brother replied, "I don't know." Worry clenched her heart, 'I have to get Okkoto out of here.' She decided, they would have to look for Ichi later, or trust he would find them later.

The three returned to the covering of the forest and Ni took point while San stayed by Lord Okkoto's side. Her eyes widened as each step he took spilt more of his blood as they made their way to the pool of the Forest Spirit.

"We're almost to the pool of the Forest Spirit. Just a little farther. Keep going." San encouraged, hoping that when they reached the pool, the forest spirit would heal Lord Okkoto's wounds. Ahead of her Ni's ears became erect and he turned his head toward the left. San noticed this and turned to see what her brother had noticed. Lord Okkoto's step became unsure on the rocky slope and he lost his balance. "Ah!" San screeched in surprise as she grabbed hold of Lord Okkoto's tusk to keep him steady. The large boar God collapsed, sending San tumbling down and slammed her back and head against a boulder.