Chapter Thirteen- So Much To Me

"San. San, look." Ashitaka's voice called to her, pulling her from unconsciousness as he gently nudged her shoulder.

Her eyes peeked open as Ashitaka's form. 'I'm alive? We're alive!' she thought as she blinked a few times and widened when she saw how close he was laying near her and the color green that surrounded them. She immediately sat up and looked around. Where once was trees and forest, the land now covered in lush green grass and bushes. Her two brothers were resting upon the large boulder. Ichi sat up peacefully observing, while Ni lay near. Close by them was the metal container that once held the Forest Spirit's head. It was no dark brown and rusted as if been touched by time itself.

'They're okay! And Yakul too!' San thought feeling overwhelming relief as she stood up and followed Ashitaka as they ran toward a hill crest to survey the land. It was lush and green and full of potential, but sadness still formed in San's heart.

"Even if all the trees return, it won't be his forest anymore. The Great Forest Spirit is dead now." She commented, her voice saddened by this realization.

"Never. He's life itself. He's not dead, San. He's here right now, trying to tell us something, that it's time for both of us to live." Ashitaka said, as he held up right arm. The curse was lifted. Only a pale purple mark remained at the base of his finger, along the curve of his palm, and wrist.

San looked over at him, 'Such an optimist, Ashitaka. He is my friend and ally. Could he be anything else to me?' She thought, recalling the last words her mother had spoken out loud, 'Ashitaka, can you save the girl you love?' She reflected on this for a moment, 'Could I ever love him? He is human. And I am a wolf. I don't know.' She pondered, not sure if she fully agreed or disagreed with his words but felt immensely happy that he was alive.

They walked back and with a nod of her head Ichi and Ni got up and walked over to her. She jumped on Ichi's back and Yakul approached Ashitaka's side. She looked down at Ashitaka and said,

"Ashitaka, you mean so much me, but I can't forgive the humans for what they've done." She told him.

"I understand. You'll live in the forest, and I'll go help them rebuild Iron Town. I'll always be near. Yakul and I will come and visit you...whenever we can, all right?" Ashitaka asked her.

This brought a small smile to her face and she nodded granting him permission. 'I don't know why, but I look forward to when he will come and visit.' She thinks and turned her head away and the three wolves departed without saying goodbye to the strange man and his red elk.

For this was not goodbye. It was just the beginning of another adventure, yet to come.