Wannabe

"So are you settling in well?" Joseph Winfred asked Juliet as he lifted a silver fork to his mouth. It was late for dinner, by Juliet's standards. The vintage clock read 7:00. 

"Yes." Juliet replied, smiling like an angel. "I've made a couple of friends." 

"Oh?" Joseph asked. The Winfred family was seated around a long mahogany dining table. Above them a large chandelier sparkled, illuminating the room with a homely glow. Around the room, floor length curtains were opened, showcasing the lush green garden outside. 

"Fallon Rose and Lauren Fitzgerald." James answered for Juliet. 

Juliet shot James an annoyed look. She didn't like anyone interrupting her. "Today we went shopping."

"Where about?" Juliet's Aunt Lilia asked. She was a tall woman with brown hair so light, it could almost be classified as blonde. On her ears she wore large diamond earrings and a Hermes dress that flowed past her knees, and was belted around her thin waist with a leather strap.

"The usual spots. Down Collin's street to hit Dior, Ralph Lauren, and the rest." Juliet said confidently, while pushing her food around her plate with her fork. Today Ms. Doyle, the Sutton family cook, had made ravioli with truffle oil. 

"How much did you spend?" Joseph asked. 

"Not much, but I do need a wardrobe for Autumn. I'm going to go shopping with Fal on the weekend." 

"What about Lauren." James asked before quickly looking down. 

Juliet lit up, remembering what happened at the Chanel boutique. "Well, something happened at Chanel. I don't think she'll be shopping for a while." 

"Why's that?" Lilia asked, taking a sip of red wine. 

Juliet tried to suppress a smile, and leaned towards the table, like she was sharing a secret. "Her credit card was cancelled." 

The room was filled with a stunned silence. It was moments before some spoke. "Really?" Lilia said, raising her eyebrows. "Maybe the Fitzgerald's are in debt." She laughed, enjoying the piece of gossip. 

"They're not." James said suddenly. Juliet looked at him across the table. He was holding his spoon tightly, his pearly white teeth clenched. Hmm.

"James is right." Juliet said, turning back to Lilia. "Maybe Lauren has just done something naughty." 

Together Juliet and Lilia laughed. Maybe Lilia isn't too bad, Julie thought. 

The room went silent, only for the tinkering sound of silver cutlery and Kate Spade plates. Joesph Sutton had was on his phone, texting someone- probably a business partner. 

"Well I think it's rude to discuss other people's financial states." Joseph said finally, after setting his phone down. 

"And here you are, CEO of Australia's top bank." Juliet said, smirking. 

***

"Fallon, pick out a nice dress. We're going out to dinner." Wendy Rose said from outside Fallon's bedroom door. 

Fallon groaned into her silk pillow. Seconds ago she had collapsed onto her bed, tired from the amount of shopping she'd done. She didn't have the energy to go out and wear high heels.

As if Wendy expected Fallon's reaction, she spoke again. "Hurry up Fal. You'll like our guest." 

Sure I will, Fallon thought as she pulled herself of her King bed and walked into her walk-in wardrobe. Tiny lights lit up collections of handbags, and the gold-painted walls gleamed in the light.