Pride or Job?

Xaviers Pov

I walk up to the little bakery where my future fiance works, the door chimes when I walk in. The man that was with her the other day looks up.

" Hi sorry we don't open for another hour please com-"

His eyes widen when he sees who I am. I smirk.

" I'd like to see Miss. Stone" I say. He rushes to the door I assume leads to the staff room. I hear him say something then a crashing sound. I walk to the door and peer through the window. There is Sophia and the man cleaning up what looks to be a broken cup. She looks up and sees me, the man tells her to go. She walks towards me and I see the fellow looking at her in a way I don't like.  I'll have to deal with that later. 

" Be warned I'm in a mood" She says as she brushes past me. She then realizes who shes speaking to and tries again.

" Mr. Pierce what brings you here? I don't suppose you want another pie?" She says looking up at me. I smile inwardly she's too cute.

" No, I wish to speak to you about a matter of business"  Her eyes dart around the bakery as if its the last time she'll see it. I gently lead her to one of the tables.

" Look I don't appreciate pies being thrown at m-"

" I am so sorry for that by the way." She smiles at me sweetly. 

" Yes, I bet you are. But don't interrupt me." She nods slowly. " Good. Now as you probably know by now I own most of New York that includes this little shop of yours. I would hate to close it down for such a pointless incident. So I would like to make an offer." She looks at me suspiciously. " I need your help with getting rid of my ex. You want to keep your business. I help you,  you help me. " I finish.

" Are you serious? Is this the only way you can get a girlfriend? Blackmail?" She says rolling her eyes.

" Enough with the questions and give your answer. But keep in mind that I would never close down the shop of my fiancee." 

"FIANCE?" She looks down for a while. " Well it's not like I really have a choice do I?"  We both stand up.

" I guess not" I smirk. " Then we have a deal. We will need to make a few adjustments" I say looking her up and down. She stares back, crossing her arms.

" Look, I'm only agreeing to this because this bakery is my dream and I'm not going to lose it." Her eyes shine with determination.

" And I admire your hard work." Trying to get on her good side. " But to be my fiance, you have to meet certain standards." Maybe I choose the wrong words because she slaps me. Hard.

" Look Mr. Pierce you are the one demanding I be your fake fiancee. I would gladly not have anything to do with you. So if I don't meet 'certain standards' please go find someone else." She turns and starts to walk away. I get over the shock of her slapping me and grab her arm. 

" Okay I admit that came out wrong, I'm sorry. But you can't back out now. You owe me. I was just slapped after all." Not being able to help but smiling.

"Whatever, what standards do I have to meet?" She yanks her arm away.

" Well, we have a dinner to attend this Saturday. You don't happen to have any designer dresses? " Already guessing the answer. She lets out a laugh.

" No I don't own any designer dresses. The most expensive thing I own is my stove." She says.

" We are going shopping, tommorow night work for you?" I say walking towards the door.

" Does it matter?" She says.

" No , not really. I'll pick you up at 5:00. Oh and we will also be going over the rules of our little engagement. " I wink and exit the bakery.

" Rules..?" I hear her whisper as the door shuts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sophias Pov

Ugh, that guy makes me so mad! I can't believe he comes in here demanding I pay for what I did. He was the jerk! And these so-called rules? Who does he think he is Prince George? I was so mad that I decided to bake. Yes, I know that sounds pathetic but putting your frustration in batter really  makes a difference. Plus you can eat sweets afterwards. Maria walks in when I'm attacking my dough with my rolling pin. 

" And what has the famous sweet Sophia in such a bad mood." She teases, taking the rolling pin away and gently leading me to sit down on a stool. 

" Well I just got engaged against my wishes." I smile sarcastically and give a thumbs up. " We are having dinner tommorow night" Maria rubs my back and smiles.

" Have I ever told you the story of how I met my husband?" I shake my head no. " Well Billy my husband was not exactly the warmest man you could have ever met. He was mean and crude but he always has a special part of his heart reserved only for me."

" But I thought you hated him? You're always complaining about things he used to do." I say looking up at her. She shakes her head and chuckles her eyes filled with sudden sadness.

" He was and always will be the love of my life. I complain to pretend he is still with me. Sometimes I fell as though he is still in his chair grumpy and reading the paper." I take her hand and she squeezes my hand affectionately. " Let me get on with this story." She shuts her eyes and lets out a sigh.

" Take your time, Maria" 

" Well one day when I was about your age I was going to the beach. My friends and I all hopped in my friend Sandy's car and we were on our way. When we arrived we split up, I decided to go get some ice cream. They had my favorite at this tiny shop called Carl's. When I got there, their was this cute guy behind the counter and he flirted with me. Little did I know, Billy was standing in the corner with his friends. Dressed in a leather jacket, he walked over and spun me around. Only I had gotten my ice cream by this time and it flung onto his shirt. I couldn't help but laugh. He was so mad. I was nice and apologized. He stomped away. I thought I would never see him again. But I did get the number of the ice cream guy, I just never used it. Because the next day at school, there was Billy at my locker, in my classes, everywhere I went till I confronted him and asked him' what he was doing following me around.' He smirked and told me 5 words I play in my head every night before I fall asleep. ' I'm going to marry you someday.' we hardly knew each other yet he kept on pursuing me. Then we started hanging out. I fell hopelessly in love with him but  I had to prove him wrong. One night I went on a date with ice cream guy and he showed up. I thought he was going to start a fight but instead he got down on one knee and gave me a promise ring. He was true to his word, though. He did marry me."

" Oh my god, that is so sweet." I looked at her. She was smiling as if she was back in her time. " I want a love like that." I say sighing. 

" Sweetheart, look at this man who thinks you are beautiful enough to rival his ex-model fiance and smart enough to keep up a fake charade." I never thought of it that way. But he is still a jerk.

" Thanks, Maria." I hug her.

" You're like the daughter I never had, Hun." She hugs me back. That night I dreaded going to sleep having no idea what was in store for me the next day. Although if I did I probably couldn't wait for it to happen.