1 ISLAND OF SORCERERS

1.1 PAWS TO THINK : In which Tikum The Black Dog Kadlum proceeds to steal his own child- A falling out with a manghihiwit happens- And a cat and mouse chase begins

In the islands of ancient Vijayas, where old magic is ripe and fiendish creatures abound, there is a curious saying between the tribespeople. They say, victory does not come easily to the strong, nor to the swift. But often, to the most sly...

"You can't run forever, Tikum Kadlum!" the manghihiwit declared as she stood in the middle of the forest on the island of sorcerers. For a moment, her lean, sharp features looked more pallid as a column of emerald light brighter than the last rays of the dying sun shot-out from her blackened finger in a blinding flash. The ground shook as the solid shaft tore through the underbrush, uprooting everything on its path. The manghihiwit had to steady her footing, giving extra care on what she was holding on her other arm– the one hidden inside her thick robe.

As she caressed it, the air began to ripple as the arcane light from her finger narrowed into a fine needle-thin rod of super-heated beam, felling a tree in half. The robed woman smiled as she extended her arm to steady the spear of luminescent energy, directing it to the opening where her foe awaited. In half a breath, her wicked spell spiraled down towards Tikum the Black Dog Kadlum with deadly speed. But seeing its glare from a distance, the broad-shouldered former timawa leaped away from the spell's point of impact, landing in the gray muck chest first.

"Is that all you can do?" Tikum said. "Is that it, Lady of the Darkest Night?" he spat with disdain. "I expected more from the likes of you."

Amburukay made several gestures with her fingers as she prepared for another arcane assault. "You little arrogant scum!" Her gaze darkened as she scowled. "Oh, we're just getting started. You will feel pain after I'm done with you! That's a promise, Black Dog!"

Seeing her fierce face turn more baleful by the second, Tikum began to doubt that a head-on battle would do him any good. He'd just be hogwash against a great manghihiwit. Sorcerers and witches are simply the kind you don't trifle with, especially the one in front of him. Amburukay was, after all, one of the most craftiest hex-slinger one could ever face, second only to his former master, Sri Kihod, the sorcerer-king himself.

Tikum sighed. His efforts on breaking her resolve seemed naught. The woman was quite determined, but maybe he could salvage something out of this mess. He cursed. Perhaps, she's just too determined for his liking. The seed of doubt germinated and grew inside his heart. Maybe angering her was not the best idea. It certainly wasn't looking like it was the best way to take back what was his from the manghihiwit.

Tikum would've wanted to avoid this kind of altercation against an adept in the arcane arts. Magic always made things less predictable and that always trumped his strength. He'd take on multiple headhunters or even a bagani or two, at least he'd know what to expect with them. Kampilan blades were more welcomed compare to vicious and chaotic hexes. He growled in frustration. Tikum prided himself in thinking on his toes, in problem-solving and seeing patterns. But these magic-wielding people– these buruhisans always throw everything out the window.

He preferred them as allies when it came to a fight. Anyone with a right mind would, buruhisans, after all, held raw power in their hands. He slipped a smile, as a thought cross his mind. That was one of the many reasons why he married one. In this situation, an alliance would have been the lesser evil, but that was before awful choices were made. This was what he had now and he would have to deal with this as soon as possible.