4 SNAKE ROADS SLITHERING

3.4 A LOYAL DOG

"Let the children go," Jurah said as Birang tied her up with the still unconscious Milong using a rattan rope.

"If they're with you then they're buruhisans as well," Dumot said while tying Ukok and Mendang near one of the corners of the ruined temple. "That means more loots for us."

Jurah struggled in her restraints. "They don't have anything to do with this."

"Will you shut up?" Dumot replied, pummeling the ati woman in the head with his club. She went limp as soon as the strike landed. "See? Now it's quiet without you yammering about."

"I think we should go out of here," Birang said, looking around nervously.

Dumot's head snapped to his direction. "What?"

"Don't really like this place," Birang whispered, looking too agitated for his own sake. He paced around at a distance from everyone, occasionally staring at the peculiar balete tree behind him. "This isn't a place for man to stay. Can... can I go now, boss?"

Silotan ignored him as he brandished his kampilan, facing the Black dog. "Now choose. Right or left?" He pointed at Tikum's hand.

"Gi-atay," Tikum said, helping himself to stand. "Can we talk this over first?"

Old man Silotan kick one of his knees sending him back down. "Enough! I won't give you an ounce of chance this time."

"Well, I'm guessing talking's not your style," Tikum said. "How about-"

Before the Black Dog could finish his next word a scream from Birang's mouth cut him off. But when they turned to his direction the lanky man was nowhere to be found. It was as if the shadows conspired with the wind to snatch him away.

"What the hell, Birang?" Silotan said, "Birang you coward! Come back here." No one answered back as the light of the campfire dwindled like a dying candle.

"Birang, you runt," Dumot said. "He probably ran back to the cross road." He shook his head, joining Silotan's side. "What do we do next, master?"

"Gather the children and meet up with Birang. I'll handle these lot. Surely, Datu Magung will still pay a hefty price even if we only bring him a buruhisan's head, right?"

"Course, the Toad king will." Dumot nodded as he dragged the children. He took the shortest route back to the cross road, ignoring the children's plea for freedom.

Silotan approached the kneeling Tikum. "Now, where were we?"

"You were about to free us," Tikum said.

"Oh, you think this is all fun and jokes?"

Tikum didn't answer back. He was going to, but something caught his attention. Something behind Silotan. Something very big. His jaw slackened, seeing glimpses of the things crawling behind the fool in front of him.

"Speak up!" Silotan said, "Beg like a dog. Cry like a coward!"

This time the Black Dog only shook his head as he saw a silhouette slither from the balete's branches. With a trembling finger and a bouncing heart, he pointed at the foul beast behind the bearded old man.

"You think that trick will help you?" Silotan said to Tikum as he raised his kampilan towards the fearful timawa. "You're not going to fool me!" Silotan swung his kampilan down on Tikum but stopped when a frightful cry pierced the night air.

The medley of animal sounds soon rose around them. And as the jungle's beastly choir members created chaos and spread dread, the ancient fiend on the bleached balete tree joined them with its unearthly song. When Silotan turned, he saw the thing drop down its entirety from the ancient tree. He paused struck by cold terror. He knew what it was but could not believe his luck. "Oh, my god it's... it's a-"