4 AMULET AND TALISMAN

2.4 DOG FIGHT OR FLIGHT

Outside the cavern, the asog let loose a barrage of flaming orbs at the champions of Raguet. Surprisingly, the two were quick to react. Leaving Salak, their hostage behind, they avoided the fiery spells. Then with a second to spare, the sisters retaliated with either magic or steel– closing the gap between their foe. But the shaman was wise to their approach, with his newly-found powers, he conjured a ring of fire– burning the ground around him. The sisters dodged as best they could, running towards the opposite flanks of the shaman. They had faced similar enemies before and they knew that the asog could not defend and attack at the same time.

Seeing his opportunity, Salak stumbled to his uncle's side. "Uncle, help me!" he said as he tiptoed on the singed ashen ground. He expected an embrace for all his troubles, but instead a slap raked his flabby face raw.

"You foolish cow. Why can't you just follow my orders?" Asog Kalibutdan said as Salak cowered from his imposing stature.

"But uncle... I only did what you wanted."

"Shut up, you idiot! I don't want to hear another lousy excuse from you," Asog Kalibutdan added, venom lacing every word. He snapped his head back to the Raguetanons. They have to be dealt with. And with his newly-acquired powers, surely he can think of way. The asog focused his aura, holding Tihol and Karas at bay by pelting them with more elemental magic.

"You led them here," he said to Salak. "You led them to me! Are you colluding with Tikum, my nephew?"

"I'm sorry, uncle..." He yelped as the asog threatened to slap him. "I'll never betray you! Sorry, please!"

"Oh, you will be so sorry... just you wait!" Asog Kalibutdan summoned a thick fog around them, using the power of the necklace to give them both a much needed cover from Karas' blade and Tihol's arrows. Then, the shaman held Salak by the neck.

"You're going to pay the price of your stupidity and earn your place."

As he did so, scarlet ghostlight from the braided necklace began to creep like smoke all over the round-bellied timawa's body, enrobing him and making Salak scream in agony. He asked his uncle to stop but his pleas were met with indifference. The asog was determined to finally overpower his rival, Karas. And no one will stop him. Not even his dull nephew. So, he shook his head for the last time, ignoring his own flesh and blood.

"Someone has to pay a price, Salak!" he said with cold fury in his voice. "Someone has to. For now, it shall be you."

Salak immediately dropped down his knees as his whole body violently convulsed, skin expanding like a frog's croaking throat. Things continued to the point that the fool serf's body rivaled the boulder beside the entrance of the cave in bulk. In a horrific manner, human skin turned to black fur and Salak morphed into a giant three headed boar as huge as a nipa hut and with muscles as solid as blocks of granite. But instead of hooves for its forelegs the thing had muscled human-shaped hands with forearms as thick as a narra tree. The thing's wide brawny back also had sharp spines that looked like a forest of bamboo spears.

"Go, finish them," Asog Kalibutdan urged it. "Destroy them for me. I command you!"

He then pointed at the champions of Raguet as the fog evaporated around them. He wore a triumphant smile but staggered as the necklace began to suck his life-force to finish transmogrifying his own nephew. Salak or what used to be him bristled at the asog with blue burning eyes before planting its forearms into the ground and rushing towards Tihol and Karas.

Asog Kalibutdan smiled again, this time in vile satisfaction but it was soon erased by the power of the talisman. For all things magical, had a price too. And the pragmatic asog was about to pay it dearly. A scream of pain from his maw tore through the rampaging noise of his creation a moment later.