Chapter 3- Rivalry ... And disappointment

Months had passed Near was already the number one in all their classes...mello and him always bicker especially when mello disturbs him when he's trying to finish his puzzles

Near was currently inside the playroom building a house made of cards silently but then mello came in before he could even speak near spoke first "mello" near said glancing at the boy mello was a bit shocked because how the heck did he know mello was there "near" he answered taking a bite of his chocolate

"What do you want?" Near asked twirling his hair while stacking the cards gently

"I'm looking for matt is he here?" Mello said near stopped what he was doing and mentally rolled his eyes then turned and looked at mello then he pointed all over the room "do you see him?" He asked mello blushed a bit then looked down "n-n-no" mello whispered "why are you really here I can tell you were lying the first time" near pointed out mello sighed and glared at near "fine I was suppose to ruin what you were doing"

Near snickered at him "you know I'm a great guesser but I still can't guess what you achieve on doing that"

"It entertains me...it feels nice to see the prodigy of this orphanage getting annoyed because of his rival who will surely be ahead of him next time!" Mello explained taking out a chocolate bar and took a bite on it "well instead of annoying me why not try to improve more...you know" near said then took a card and placed it gently with the others "when you try to improve your skills more you'll become more strong but.. " he took another card and flicked it on the stack of cards and it all fell "if you just let your emotions get the best of you ...it will take full control over what you do and make you weak"

"So you're saying that I'm weak?!" Mello asked furious

Near glanced at him "that wasn't what I was implying but since you said it...yes your actions make you weak...isn't that why you're so insecure? Because you think I'm stronger and you're weak"

Mello clenched his fist "I Will grow stronger than you!! You'll see! I'll be the strong contender!"

"Well then the race to being L's successor is on" near said twirling his hair mello looked at him and took a bite of his chocolate "i guess it is!" He yelled then went out

Near sighed "finally I got him to stop ruining what im doing...lets see how this goes" he mumbled to himself

--
L was currently doing some research on Near's parents and who could have been the one who killed them watari then came in "L aren't you gonna take a break on that?"

L glanced at him "no..I need to bring whoever killed near's parents to justice it's not just because I'm fond of him its also because its my job watari"watari nodded "speaking of near how is he and mello?" L asked "well I heard him and mello had been having a few bickering and mello had been annoying near lately and well near is number one on all his classes" watari told him "really now interesting looks like mello is being competitive...is there any other news?"

"No, there are no more news" watari said scratching the back of his neck

L stood up and looked at him "I can tell that you're lying to me watari...tell me what you are not telling" he said getting some strawberry cake and started eating it "well I heard that near had been crying every night the passed few months roger said he hears near everytime roger checks the children if they are asleep...looks like he's been having nightmares"

"Hmm that is quite sad" L said looking down

"And there are times were teachers and caretakers report that they see him getting bullied but he keeps telling them not to tell roger or you" watari told him