Ev ~ 21

"Raphael!"

If a logical part of me was paying attention at the moment, I would have realized how stupid it was to run towards a vampire covered in blood and looking ready to throw up or make Alec and I his next victims. But this was Raphael, the only other person that had experienced the same hell that I had, the one who helped me get to safety with my life intact, and the one that had stood by my side while I was gaining my strength when he could have done anything else. He was the one that made me brave enough to jump off of buildings, to enjoy the wind running through my hair rather than fearing the fall; he made me laugh when I wanted to hide in the dark and let the Downworlders kill me. And now he was here.

I think it surprised both of us when I wrapped my arms around him because he stumbled back before regaining his footing. But just as quickly I felt his arms wrap around my waist, pulling me even closer to him. My face was buried into his chest, the only part of his shirt that wasn't covered in blood. I don't know how long we stood there, but to me it felt like mere seconds before he pulled me away, only to take me in.

"I didn't think I'd see you again." I told him. "You went through the portal and I..."

He smiled at me, his eyes holding genuine happiness. "I told you I live in New York."

"I know, I just..." It was like my mouth was full of sand; I couldn't find any words. "You don't have to think of home when you go through a Portal."

His eyes roamed my face. "You look..." He paused, looking like he was keeping himself from saying something. "You look a lot better."

I smiled. "Don't worry. You won't have to worry about me throwing up on your shoes again anytime soon."

He opened his mouth to say something, but someone cleared their throat behind us. I spun around to find Alec standing ten feet from us, his arms crossed over his chest, looking like he was watching his sister make out with a guy. I had forgotten he was here.

"Alec." I said. "This is--"

"Raphael." Alec finished for me.

"We've met before." Raphael explained, answering my unasked question.

"When?" I wondered, looking from him to Alec.

"He Turned Clary's best friend, Simon, into a vampire right before he disappeared with you." Alec said, his eyes locked on Raphael behind me. I couldn't help but notice the way his voice became taut. After he said it, he looked back at me. "I hadn't realized this was the cell mate you were talking about."

I faced Raphael. "What's he talking about? You Turned a mundane?"

But Raphael wasn't looking at me. His was staring down Alec. "I saved his life. If it weren't for me, his soul would be trapped in the state of in between for the rest of eternity."

Alec rolled his eyes. "You damned him."

"What is wrong with you Shadowhunters, never accepting a Downworlders help?" Raphael questioned. "Next time I won't be so generous."

Alec opened his mouth to argue, but I stopped him. "Both of you shut up!"

That got their attention. I could feel their gazes on me, but I wasn't staring at them. I was looking up. On the rooftop of the comic book store was a person. I could only see the outline of their figure, but I knew they were looking down at us, watching and listening. I slowly pointed up at the figure, hoping Alec and Raphael would understand.

"How long has he been up there?" Alec whispered.

Before I could answer, I heard Raphael sniff. Then he muttered, "Vampire."