New Team

"Raen?" Mum called for my attention. I 'hm?'ed.

"Do you want your hair cut again, I'm done with your brother's now." she said, and I shook my head, not taking my eyes off the screen but smiling gratefully.

"No thanks mum, it's still short enough." I said, and there was a few beats of silence before she came into my room and brought a lock of hair to the front of my face. I blinked. My hair isn't that long, when...? She sighed when I looked up at her, confused. I even allowed myself to be beaten this time.

"It's been three months since I cut it last." she said, and I blinked up at her owlishly before shaking my head.

"No, mum. That was like three days ago." I argued weakly, still staring at the lock of hair that was supposed to not be there. She raised an eyebrow at me, and I shrugged helplessly.

"I didn't know my hair grew that fast." I said, forcing her to roll her eyes.

"Raen. Come on, time for a cut." she said. I grinned, nodding and letting her drag me out of my chair and into the bathroom, where Carter was washing his hair, head stuck under the faucet. She sat me in front of the full body mirror and put a towel around my neck.

"Anything specific?" she asked. I shook my head, looking down into my lap when I held the gameboy I grabbed before she pulled me out my room.

"The usual almost-boy cut. Leave my fringe though, it looks cool." I said. She 'yessir'ed distractedly as she combed through it.

When she was done, I looked up to see someone I recognized.

"Oh, so that's what I thought was different when I looked into the mirror last night."

--TIMESKIP--

"Shut up, it's just a few blocks away. I could walk there." Carter said, and I glared holes into his head.

"Yes. You can walk there." I said, and he huffed out a sigh.

"Raen. This for the Championships. Is going outside really going to stop you from joining a team?" he asked. I fidgeted in my seat before groaning in frustrated defeat.

"Fine!" I growled out, crossing my arms and looking pointedly out the passenger window. "Just for the Championships." I grumbled. He nodded, a smug grin settling over his lips, making me frown even more.

The car stopped, and he turned it off.

"We're here." he said, and I fidgeted under the stares we were getting as I undid my seatbelt. I guess Carter was really popular, to have so many people looking for his car.

"How many people do you even know?" I asked, somehow annoyed, and he laughed as he came around to my side to help me get out of the car. I gave him a look as he held his hand out and got out myself, slamming the door shut and taking slight comfort when he winced at the harsh sound.

"Lots. But they're not staring at me. They've never seen me drive anyone here before, and they haven't seen you before. You're the centre of attention right now." he jeered. I looked around with wide eyes, and felt my heart rate go up.

"Carter, I-" he shushed me gently, taking my hand and rubbing soothing circles into the back of it.

"It takes some getting used to, but don't let them get to you." he reassured me. I nodded in response, not trusting my voice to work under the intensity of all the looks I was getting.

"I'll take you to Matt's class, he should be finishing up about now. Go with him to the tech room, kay? I've got to go to class as soon as I leave you with him." he explained. I nodded, taking a deep breath when I heard a bell ring.