Chapter Eight

Teddy sat staring at his parents as Claire explained to them what she had found. She was careful not to mention the parts were they had nearly died. Teddy shook nonetheless. Claire put and reassuring hand on his shoulder. He smiled at her.
"So what did you find?" Spencer asked.
"Well, I don't know exactly how they started, but I did find out some other things that might help." Claire added.
"What?" Daisy questioned, leaning forward.
"Apparently, if two Toxites infect a Knowledgee at the same time, the Knowledgee with take both of their traits and transform as a combination of the two. Like what we saw, when Teddy's mask was, um . . ." She never finished her sentence. She tightened her grip on his shoulder and gulped. Daisy and Spencer shared a glance.
"Is there something your not telling us?" Spencer asked. Claire glanced at Teddy. He nodded. But before she could tell them, he beat her to it.
"Well, Claire and I might've, nearly died a few times while we were down there." Teddy mumbled, avoiding their gazes. They stood silent.
"What?" Spencer gasped after some agonizing seconds. Daisy reached for her kids' hands. They took her hands in their own and squeezed.
"Well, we both did drown at least once." Claire sighed.
Spencer jumped to his feet. "You both drowned?" He screamed.
"I'm starting to think sending you two out on this mission was a bad idea." Daisy said quietly. They nodded.
Spencer pinched his forehead. "You said something about Teddy's mask . . ?" He said, trying his best to hide his frustration.
"Ok." Teddy said bluntly, finally losing his cool. "We nearly died down there, yes, and more then once is putting it lightly. One of my masks got shredded when that Toxite hybrid swept it's claws over my face."
Spencer held up a hand. "Toxite hybrid? Is that the thunguiu were talking about?" He asked. Claire nodded.
Teddy continued. "And we both also nearly died after the Sweepers interrogated us, and-"
"Wait, interrogated?" Spencer interrupted. "As in, they asked questions?" He checked.
Teddy gulped when he realized Claire forgot to mention that, his guard down. What would he tell them? He had given away tons of secrets that were better kept a secret. "Well, they did ask us questions . . ." He started.
"And?" Daisy pressed.
"I," Teddy glanced at Claire. She gave him the same fearful expression. "Gave them answers. I thought Claire would be danger if I didn't tell them truthfully. and they threatened to kill me as well." He bit back tears and bit his lip. "I told them everything." He said at last. When he looked up and was ready for a long lecture, all he saw was sadness. Deep sadness.
"I told them too." Claire cut in. "I was too afraid for my own safety that I answered on impact." She dropped her head. "I'm sorry."
"We both are." Teddy joined. But they didn't yell, or scream. Just gently placed their hands on each set of shoulders; Daisy's on Teddy's, and Spencer's on Claire's. Teddy smiled weakly. How ironic, father and daughter, so in common with their germ phobia.
. . .
That's all. I'm sorry, but this book is no longer going to be written. 😔