Chapter 6: Caught

Song for the Chapter: What Was I Thinkin' by Dierks Bentley

The first DA meeting after break was a little tense because there was news that several Death Eaters that were imprisoned in Azkaban had escaped. Something or someone had blew a meteor sized hole in the side of the island bound tower and they just Appraited out of the prison. The first thing Fudge did was blame "mass murderer Sirius Black" because his cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange was one of the escapees. However, Fudge, in all his infinite wisdom and research, did not know Sirius and his cousins had a severe fallout several years before the first Wizarding War and they hated each other.

I arrived at the Room of Requirement early and found Neville staring at the original Order picture. Lestrange had been the witch that cursed his parents and he was nervous knowing that she escaped. "I'm quite proud to be their son." He told me after I comforted his nerves. "I just don't want everyone to know just yet."

"They're already proud of you, Neville." I told him as people started to come in. "But you're going to make them even prouder one day. I promise you that. Come on, time for practice." He gave me a quick hug and hurried over to talk to Dean and Seamus. After break, Seamus came up to me and apologized. He said that over break, his mother had been trying to convince him that I was the real threat. She began saying awful things about me to his magical relatives and he just snapped, defeated me and basically told his mom to shove it. Fred and George came in with boxes of their trick candies, they had really made progress on the stuff they were going to sell and used the DA meetings as their testing group.

"J, what are were going to be doing today?" Fred asked and pecked my cheek.

"I was thinking we try the Patronus Charm today." When I said that, everyone froze and stared. "I know it's supposed to be advanced, but I think you lot can handle it. Now pick a memory. It should be a powerful, happy memory." I thought back to my possibly fake memory I used of my parents. "Let it fill you and when you're ready, say the incantation 'Expecto Patronum.' Alright everyone, go ahead and try."

I walked around the room and watching my friends trying to conjure their animals. Hermione's was an Otter that swam through the air like it was in water before being chased by Ron's Jack Russel Terrier. Fred and George's were different than I excepted, I thought they were be the same animal or animals that were always together. Fred's was a Hyena, which made me laugh, and George's was a Coyote. It was kind of cool to see the Patronus animals interact with each other. Sense I'd only ever cast it when I was alone, I never knew they could do that.

Everyone was actually able to conjure the Patronus which made me really proud. I was about to address them to move back to practicing Offensive spells when we had a low boom. Everyone jumped and their animals all disappeared at the lose of concentration. I stepped over to the wall where the door usually opens. More bangs followed the first as the glass mirror on the wall cracked and fell to the ground to reveal a baseball sized hole. Nigel was the closest to the wall other than me, and was just as curious, stepped up to look through the hole and saw Umbridge. "I'll make short work of this." She said, raising her wand right at Nigel's face. I hoped she couldn't see him because if she could and used the spell I thought she was about to use, she would have killed him if I hadn't reacted. I grabbed him by his shoulders and tossed him backwards, using myself to shield him. The concrete wall blew up and bits of the rock hit my back, head and legs. I don't know actually how I ended up on top of Nigel but I did, I think maybe a larger rock knocked us over or maybe the momentum of throwing ourselves out of the way.

When the dust settled, literally, Umbridge and her Slytherin goons stood at the giant hole. Fred and Dean helped us up as Umbridge sent in the Slytherin students to round us all up. Draco walked over to Fred, grabbed me by my arm and jerked me out Fred's grasp and to Dumbledore's office. Hermione was smart and ran over to the mirror and started to pull off the pictures but was too slow to get the list which Crabbe torn it off to use as evidence. The other students were escorted to the Great Hall while Umbridge took me and her informant to Fudge.