A Second Christmas (kind of)

So I think we're nearing the end of the story. Some shocking things are about to be revealed! Please don't kill me.

*****

"So, are you okay? What's happening? Please tell me. Everyone was so worried! I'm calling everyone over, I hope that won't overwhelm you, but everyone is in shock. Okay? I'll be right back," Connie says, hair frazzled and demeanor bipolar. Her white apron is stained with various years of cooking and baking for the Hoying family, and it is frayed at the seams. I watch it flow past me as Connie paces the living room, cell phone in hand over her right ear, earrings jingling with each step.

"Yes, hi Richard. Yes please come quick, our boys are home! I know I will explain everything. Can you go to Mike's house and grab him and-yes please. No I don't know if Mitch needs anything at the moment from his house," Connie says, looking over to me, and I shake my head. "No he doesn't. Please hurry. Love you too, bye." Connie continues making phone calls and gradually people arrive at our home, Kirstie included.

"Mitch! Mitch oh thank God!" Kirstie exclaims, running over to me for a tight embrace, and I wince at the pain but refuse to make her let go. She pulls back and notices my scrunched up face.

"Oh darling, I'm sorry! Where?" She asks, and I point to my right shoulder. She nods and sits next to me, holding my right hand in her left. I notice her anxiety and her leg begins shaking. I watch her for a while, and then I place my left hand on her leg, stopping it.

"It's okay, Kirst. I'm okay, everyone is okay. We will explain everything," I say, my eyes meeting hers. She nods and her eyes return back to the floor, one of her greatest fears coming to life- losing her best friends. I look over at Scott, who is seated across from me in a chair where he can prop his leg up. He gives me a melancholy smile, his eyes not glistening nor alive. My eyes scan the room as various family members greet Scott and I, and finally Avi and Kevin walk through the door. Avi sits next to me and catches my gaze.

"Does this shoulder hurt?"

"No," I respond. Avi lays his head on my shoulder, his side against mine and I close my eyes for a moment, realizing what great friends I have. They open as I see Kevin kneel on the carpeted floor next to Scott, conversing quietly with him. I can pick out that they are talking about me, well, everyone is, and I hear talk of Landon and his ceremony. I decide that I want to place flowers on his grave once I get the chance to. My parents come in the door with Scott's father, Rick, and they are carrying some old photograph books with them. I smile meekly at them, trying to not let my sorrow seep through into their eyes but with no avail, as my mother's eyes begin to water. She and my father rush over to me, and Kirstie and Avi temporarily move out of the way so they can hug me. We are all huddled in a circle in the living room, people standing or sitting on furniture or the floor. They are all awaiting some sort of speech, it looks like, so I look over to Scott and he takes a breath.

"So, I guess everyone is wondering what happened?" He begins, his eyes soft and cold. I don't understand why he is so sad.

"Well, Mitch has memory loss from his coma. The doctors haven't assessed anything yet, they aren't sure if it will be temporary or...yeah," Scott continues, taking a short breath.

"So far, the last thing he seems to remember is two days before Christmas, the 23rd, and speaking to my mom, Connie, about the tablecloth we were going to use. He doesn't remember anything after that. Today is February 14th? Yes, the 14th...oh. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone." Scott looks over to me with a cute smile.

"If you drive, Mitch, I'll hobble into the store and get you something," he says, and everyone laughs sweetly, and I give him a small smile.

"After everything, we realize that we still have a job, we still have Pentatonix, and we still have tour dates. Esther?" Scott says.