Chapter Eight

~ Jacob's P.O.V ~

I wandered into the house without any back up. I thought it was best to leave them in the car, knowing that deep down I could fend for myself in any situation. My eyes trailer from one hallway to another, planning which routes I'd stumble down first.

I decided to go left, entering the main hallway leading to the living room. The doors were shut yet underneath the cracks I could see a light glowing ever so lightly. It was like a flicker of a dying candle. After hesitating to enter, my hand shot up unexpectedly, and the door almost flew off its hinges.

"Grandma?" A voice came from my mouth that I didn't quite recognise. "Are you in here?"

I took a step forward and did a double take, checking behind me and to the right in lightning speed. The room seemed to be empty yet the fire only recently lit.

"Grandpa?" I whispered. I took strides towards his office door, unable to control my movement. I could hear faint voices chattering behind it.

"I want you to get rid of it right away." Said a voice sounding like my grandpas. Could they really have been that oblivious to the sound of a door whacking against the wall? "If anyone finds out about this it will kill him."

I decided to stop snooping and enter the room. Inside stood my grandpa with his hand cradling a locket. His eyes examined my face before he clutched hold of it and rammed it in the draw.

"What the hell is going on?" I barked. "Where's grandma?"

"I was just taking care of some business. Grandma said she was going to have a shower before you arrived to go out."

"Right." I raised an eyebrow. "And what is that locket you have?"

"Family heirloom. One day we might just pass it down to you." He grinned.

"Oh well in that case I'll have to get the girls out the care. Next time maybe you could respond to my 100th buzz in."

-

We drove out to Luigi's an hour after arriving at my grandma's house. The night life was dull this evening and thanked the Lord for it, I didn't want to see Olivia in the mist of drunken teens - she would of ruined my night out with Grace.

"I'll help you with that," I almost chuckled as I slid Grace's jacket off of her shoulders and down her arms. She gave me a cheesy grin aw I proceeded to hold her chair out.

"Thank you," her cheeks became hot as I sat across from her. I could see my Grandma smiling from the corner of my eye.

"Are you ready to order?" The waitress mumbles. Her eyes met with mine and I smiled slightly.

"Yes, I'll have the soup of the day and carbonara please."

"Certainly." She turned to face the others and jotted down their order. Just before she left she ripped a piece of paper from her notebook and crumbled it up, dropping it to the floor. I looked around to see if anyone else had witnessed that but they were deep in conversation.

Her number. My eyes wondered over the combination. I found myself scowling at how inconsiderate she was when she had seen me take Grace's jacket and tucked her in to the table. I scrunched it up and placed it on the table.

"So Jacob," my grandpa mumbled. "You and Grace seem to be hitting it off."

I let out a groan and eyed him up. "We are friends." I shot a look at Grace, her smile diminishing. I didn't want anybody to assume anything right now, I didn't know what would happen between us and it would of hurt one of us to have to explain that it came crumbling down.

"Yes, just friends." Grace nodded. Our food came and she looked down at it, moving it around with her fork.

I gave her a slight kick under the table and she shot me a look. I smiled and shook my head as she rubbed her leg up against mine, it was such an innocent move and yet the heat built up inside me.

We spent the next two hours talking about university, what we both had planned, and how grown up everyone was becoming.

When we finally got home I slammed the door shut behind us and let poppy out and back in. My eyes trailed over Grace as she walked up the stairs, her body was slouched and she hadn't said a word since we left.

I followed behind her and stopped the door from being shut in my face. "Grace," I sighed.

"What?" She moved away from the door, allowing me to stumble inside.

"I didn't mean what I said at the restaurant. You're more than a friend, but we don't want to show that now. I mean we've only just started this and I don't want it to end badly." I stepped forward and wrapped my arms around her waist. "You know, it's very hard not to kiss you when you look so beautiful all the time."

I could see a smile creeping up her cheeks. Her hand stroked my face before cupping around the back of my neck and crushing our lips together. I felt myself fall back slightly at the bewilderment. My body finally started to react as I encircled her in my arms, lifting her body up from the floor. Her legs wrapped around me as I held her as close as possible, I began moving, my strides getting bigger with every step until we reached the bed and I placed her down slowly. My hands exploring along with my lips, I kissed my way down her neck and along her collar bone.

"Jacob," she breathed. "We need to stop." My vision was hazy as I pushed her legs apart with my knees. "Jacob."

I shot up and stared down at her. She was grinning at me, her dress half way up her stomach. I placed my hand against her bare skin, her body shivering against my touch.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled before kissing her once more. My hand skimmed over her underwear causing her hips to buck, her hands were against my chest unbuttoning my shirt, I took that as an advantage and ripped it off before she had finished. I pulled her dress up over her head and flung it across the room. My eyes wondered over her body while she unbuckled my jeans.

By the time my lips ran down her neck once more we were in our underwear and ready to try the one thing we said we wouldn't do so soon. My mind started racing at the idea and I pulled away.

I couldn't do this to the one girl I had loved for so many years. It was too soon, we were rushing things. Her hand brushed against my cheek and I glanced down at her.

"This feels so right," I began.

"But?" She whispered.

"But I know it's not. We can't be doing this, we promised each other we'd go on dates, we'd spend time together before we ended up here." I let out a sigh. "I want more than anything to show you how much you mean to me, Grace, and starting a relationship like this, with someone who I've wanted for so long, just feels wrong? Don't you think?"

She smiled and brought my lips to hers. This time it wasn't rushed, it wasn't demanding, it was short and sweet. I felt secure for once.

We both climbed under the quilt, our bodies mingling as we gave each other one last kiss goodnight. I wrapped my arm around her waist as she fell asleep with her head and hand against my chest.