Chapter 11: Thinking Things Through

The train ride was so boring. It probably would have been better had Chihiro been able to actually talk to Yu-bird. True, she could speak to her friend, but she could not understand Yu-bird's squawks and screeches; she wondered if Yubaba could.

She spent a majority of the time thinking about what had been happening the past few days. She was so confused with everything, mostly about her relationship with Haku. She wondered where they stood. She knew she loved him with all her heart and soul, but she wondered how he felt about her. They were more than friends, she could tell that much, but how much more? Could he even feel that way about a pathetic mortal? Everyone said that he loved her, but she just couldn't see how it was possible. Was it true that she honestly couldn't see what was always out in the open? It sounded like something from out of a love story.

But this was not a story. This was real life, and real life was not always fair. There wasn't always a happy ending. She hoped that she would get hers, but hoping didn't do anything. She had to actually go and make her dreams come true. And that is what she was doing now. She desperately hoped that Zeniba would be able to help her. If becoming a spirit was the only way she could be with Haku, then she would go for it.

But even then there would be no guaranty that she and Haku would be together. Yes, she loved him, but if he didn't return her feelings… The thought tore at her heart. But at least as a spirit she would have a chance. That is, considering that Zeniba could even help her. The golden seal did increase the old witch's powers, but would she be able to do change Chihiro's existence as a human to an immortal? That was the big question. But it wasn't the only question Chihiro had. She was also confused about her so-called fortune.

Lord Okaia's messenger had made it clear that there would be something happening in Chihiro's future, but he left her completely in the dark about what it would be. She tried thinking back to what the messenger had said, but she couldn't exactly remember. A lot had happened and she was having trouble comprehending everything.

According to her 'reading', she was going to have her trust broken by those closest to her and thus she would turn to others for help. Well that certainly happened. After finding out about her friends' intentions to send her back to the human world, they had broken her trust, and now here she was, on her way to Zeniba's, to get help from others. She also remembered that she would forgive her friends for lying to her, and even though she wanted to stay mad, she did find herself forgiving them.

She was also supposed to be tested by the emotions of joy, sorrow, and anger. She didn't have a clue as to what that was supposed to mean. She would ask Lord Okaia when she met him, which, according to her reading, was supposed t happen. She gulped nervously at the idea of meeting the most powerful sorcerer in the entire spirit world. Why would a being of such power want with her anyway? Only time would tell.

"Next stop, Swamp Bottom!"

"That's us." Said Chihiro, relieved that the long ride was over. She got up to leave but received no response from Yu-bird. Looking over, she saw that her friend was fast asleep. She gently poked her. "Hey, Yu-bird, wake up. We're here."

Yu-bird slowly opened her eyes and yawned. She jumped onto Chihiro's shoulder and closed her eyes again.

"Hey, I'm not a taxi." Chihiro joked.

The two exited the train and made their way to Zeniba's house. On the way, they were greeted by the bouncing lantern.

"How does it always know when someone arrives?" Chihiro asked, receiving no reply.

They reached Zeniba's little house a short while later. It looked exactly the same as Chihiro remembered it. She couldn't wait to see Zeniba and No-Face again and she knocked on the door a little, ok, much harder than necessary.