Chapter 20: Brandon

Callie was missing. Well she was missing from the house, he hadn't seen her all that day and the next, it seemed like she was just gone. He felt a bit silly having to ask, mainly because he felt like she'd abandoned him. It had a been a little full on for them, especially considering how little they'd spoken before this summer.

It felt like he couldn't stop thinking about her. He'd forgotten so many things without really forgetting them, like the way she brushed her hair back around her ear when she was trying to listen as if her hair was a huge barrier to hearing. The way her laugh sounded when she was really laughing compared to her polite titter than she often put on for others. Something Brandon thought she got from the foster care system, where you were always trying to make people like you and you forced yourself to be happy all the time. He loved that she'd never done that to him and it was great to see her being that open again with him.

What was happening to him? Hadn't he already been through enough emotional turmoil for one lifetime? Apparently not. The family were sitting down for dinner soon, and he figured he'd somehow slip the question into conversation, as it appeared everyone had learnt subconsciously not to talk about her with him around.

----------

Turns out he had no need to even ask, his mom brought it up whilst serving dessert. 'Hey guys, Callie wanted to let you know she was staying with Logan for a few days before he heads out for his trip to Europe. She'll be back by the weekend. She said to say sorry to you Jude that she'd miss you.' 

Brandon was a little taken back, he knew Callie was dating Logan but for some reason he'd just pushed it to the back of his mind. Pretty stupid really. Of course, Callie would go and see her boyfriend before he left. She loved him, and Brandon was part of her past not her future.

Jude piped up next, 'Ah don't worry mom I spoke to her before she left. It's cool.' Great, Brandon thought she's spoken to everyone but me, I guess we're right back where we started. Get over yourself Brandon, she has a life to live - so why not get on with yours?

------------------------------------------

Brandon's phone went off, but he only woke up because of the noise outside. He wondered who was calling at this time of night? He didn't often get calls at 1am. 

CALLIE RINGING

Brandon blinked a few times, actually doubting what he was seeing - why did she still have his number? Not getting a new number now felt like a blessing rather than curse for not being able to let go.

'Callie, is everything ok?' he whispered, trying not to wake anyone up.

'Yeah I think Brandon. I'm really sorry to wake you up, I just really needed to talk to you? Are you okay to come for a drive?' Callie sounded emotional on the phone, what the hell was happening but of course, he was going to go. He didn't really need more of an excuse to spend time with this girl. 'Yeah sure, as long as we don't cross any state lines though.' He heard her laugh as she remembered their fateful trip into mexico all those years ago. They really did have a wealth of history between them,

Not long after, they were cruising down the highway. It didn't really seem like Callie had much of an idea where she was heading. Brandon thought she looked sad, and confused. Not two things he really liked to see on her face. He thought about starting a conversation in the car but it didn't feel right. It seemed Callie was waiting for the right place, and the right time to say what she wanted to say. And Brandon wasn't really in a rush, mostly because he feared they were finally going to have to talk about all the things they'd never really spoke about before. It felt painful and hard just thinking about talking about it. He didn't know how it would actually feel talking about it with the girl in question.