Mediating

Sidney

The following morning I sat behind my desk, staring up at the ceiling and remembering the incredible night of passion I had shared with Killian. I'd never done things like that with any man, yet with Killian I didn't even think twice about it. My reverie was interrupted when Barb announced that Frank Trask, CFO of my real estate company, was on the phone. Two minutes later he delivered bad news about a deal we thought would close without a hitch.

"We're not going to be able to close on time with those liens showing up on the title search," he said.

"I know that. I just don't like the alternative."

"Sidney, I hate to say it, but it's time to kill this deal."

"This is the buy of the decade, Frank."

He laughed into the phone. "And now we know why. It's encumbered."

"How much to unencumber it?"

"No, don't even go there. It's too much money even for you."

I sighed with frustration. "Alright, whatever you think is best."

"I know you are upset, but how many times have you told me there are unlimited opportunities out there?" he said. "We'll start looking for the next one right away."

"You're right. As usual. What was Alan Marsh thinking anyway? He knew it wouldn't clear title."

"He made the mistake of thinking you'd want it bad enough to pay more."

"Tell him to fuck off and thank him for wasting my valuable time."

Frank's voice held a smile. "Got it. How's the hockey team?"

"It's good. I've got a good coaching staff and I actually think this team is going to turn things around—even though we lost our last game." Changing the subject, I added, "Frank, thanks for keeping things in line while I'm gone. I'm really pleased with everything I'm seeing and I know we'll get something else lined up."

"Good, I'm glad you're happy. I'll have a list of new leads for you by the end of the day."

Just as I ended the call my office door burst open and Barb came in, her expression frazzled. Nicole was hot on her heels, looking like a toddler about to throw a fit.

I looked back and forth between my two assistants. "What's—"

"I've had it with her," Barb said. "She got into my email."

Nicole crossed her arms angrily. "It's my job to take care of all personal contacts. She's been hoarding emails that should have been forwarded to me."

"Oh, Lord," Barb said, rolling her eyes skyward. "Give me strength."

I put my hands out, palms down, in an effort to calm things. "Let's talk about this. Barb, what kinds of emails are we talking about?"

Her eyes bulged wildly. "Can we first address her reading my email? I've been an Administrative Assistant for twenty-one years and never have I been undermined this way. One of us needs a babysitter, and it's not me."

I didn't say it, but I couldn't argue with that statement.

"I don't even know why I'm still here," Nicole cried, bursting into tears. "You both hate me and don't trust me with anything important."

Barb glared at me, unmoved by Nicole's outburst.

"Alright, look," I said. "For right now, Barb, please try to call on Nicole for help when you can. Nicole, don't ever read Barb's email again, or anyone else's for that matter. Any computer except your own is off limits to you."